Connecting parallel port on printer to usb

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnswan
Level 1
Level 1

Connecting parallel port on printer to usb

Post by johnswan »

I am thinking of upgrading my computer to one that does not have a parallel port. I have a bi-directional cable and have managed to print in Windows XP quite easily by configuring a virtual port. I have failed to get it to work under Linux. Even if I can get this to work, I would mainly be printing from Word for Windows with Wine, which I have been using and printing from the parallel port in Linux 20.3 Any help would be appreciated. The printer is a Samsung ML-4500 .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Connecting parallel port on printer to usb

Post by pdc_2 »

Any help would be appreciated.
to do what please

indeed, a venerable machine https://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hard ... ungml4500/
johnswan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnswan »

pdc_2 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:07 am
Any help would be appreciated.
to do what please

indeed, a venerable machine https://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hard ... ungml4500/
To get it to work in Linux
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

The only way I could get a Laserjet 4000 (19 years old when I got rid of it,) connected to Mint 18 was to have a parallel port fitted to the computer, after which the printer was discovered by the OS and worked well. The parallel/USB adapters I tried lived up to their reputation for being useless.
Cliff Coggin
johnswan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnswan »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:55 am The only way I could get a Laserjet 4000 (19 years old when I got rid of it,) connected to Mint 18 was to have a parallel port fitted to the computer, after which the printer was discovered by the OS and worked well. The parallel/USB adapters I tried lived up to their reputation for being useless.
It works just fine in Windows XP
johnswan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnswan »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:55 am The only way I could get a Laserjet 4000 (19 years old when I got rid of it,) connected to Mint 18 was to have a parallel port fitted to the computer, after which the printer was discovered by the OS and worked well. The parallel/USB adapters I tried lived up to their reputation for being useless.
I managed to get the data light on my printer flashing, using the parallel/usb cable, but that is as far as it goes. I have looked at pcie parallel port cards and even setting up these to work with Linux seems a nightmare for novices like myself and not guaranteed to work. I think I will have to forget upgrading my computer if I want to use my existing printer. Very frustrating !
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I can't help on that score because I took my computer to a shop to have the port fitted. The shop technician knew nothing about Linux so he set it up to work with Windows, (which I had on a second drive,) and it just worked when I turned on the Linux drive. As I mentioned previously, once the port was fitted Linux Mint discovered it just like any other printer. It cost in the region of £20 four years ago. Surely it's worth asking for professional advice and cost before giving up?
Cliff Coggin
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Could very well be the chip used in the cable. I would try a different brand/different cable with a different converter chip. I've experienced this issue on Linux and Windows. Each time, a different cable worked.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
johnswan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnswan »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:05 am I can't help on that score because I took my computer to a shop to have the port fitted. The shop technician knew nothing about Linux so he set it up to work with Windows, (which I had on a second drive,) and it just worked when I turned on the Linux drive. As I mentioned previously, once the port was fitted Linux Mint discovered it just like any other printer. It cost in the region of £20 four years ago. Surely it's worth asking for professional advice and cost before giving up?
I can easily fit the port myself, that is the easy part. . Is your card in a PCI slot or PCIe slot ? If you could give me as much information about the card as possible please using the Linux system information software or Windows, that would help me greatly. Unfortunately, I would not have a PCI slot in the new computer. I thought this forum would be the best place for advice as most shops know very little or nothing about Linux.
johnswan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnswan »

johnswan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:55 am
cliffcoggin wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:05 am I can't help on that score because I took my computer to a shop to have the port fitted. The shop technician knew nothing about Linux so he set it up to work with Windows, (which I had on a second drive,) and it just worked when I turned on the Linux drive. As I mentioned previously, once the port was fitted Linux Mint discovered it just like any other printer. It cost in the region of £20 four years ago. Surely it's worth asking for professional advice and cost before giving up?
I can easily fit the port myself, that is the easy part. . Is your card in a PCI slot or PCIe slot ? If you could give me as much information about the card as possible please using the Linux system information software or Windows, that would help me greatly. Unfortunately, I would not have a PCI slot in the new computer. I thought this forum would be the best place for advice as most shops know very little or nothing about Linux.
Because of all the problems, I decided it might be time to buy a new printer, so decided on the Xerox B230 and would you believe it, this model isn't listed among the 169 Xerox drivers in Linux.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

johnswan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:55 am Is your card in a PCI slot or PCIe slot ? If you could give me as much information about the card as possible please using the Linux system information software or Windows, that would help me greatly.
Sorry I can not. I am away from home for a fortnight. I can look when I return if you want, though I note you have bought another printer.
Cliff Coggin
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi John

from here https://www.xerox.co.uk/en-gb/office/pr ... 30-printer

it says
Mobile Ready: Apple AirPrint, Mopria, Wi-Fi Direct
so you should not need drivers; a driverless set up should be fine;

is it wifi connected?

If you get it wireless connected, what does

Code: Select all

driverless
and

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
give?

(Ideally with driverless, mint should recognise the printer and have already set it up for you)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”