HP M234dwe Printer - any problems?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krauster
Level 4
Level 4

HP M234dwe Printer - any problems?

Post by krauster »

I am searching for an inexpensive laser printer. I see the HP M234dwe. It is a black and white laser with scanner and copier capability. It has WIFI capability.
My wife will use it from a Mac and I will use Linux Mint. Before I buy it: Are there any known issues with the linux drivers for this particular printer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP M234dwe Printer is airprint compatible

Post by pdc_2 »

Are there any known issues with the linux drivers
so we are really moving towards a DRIVERLESS era;

for the last ........ 8 to 10 yrs, essentially all printers are airprint compatible; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311

so ideally if you set this up ..... (wirelessly .. connected to your router?)

.. then ideally Mint should spot it, and configure it up for you; .... just like that .... all by itself .........

HP don't use the phrase airprint in their specs https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07245994#AbT7

but neither do they for the MFP283 we have; that generally behaves itself; it does sometimes seem to drop off the radar; and need a re-awakening

so you should be fine with this; get back to us if you need help configuring it:

but you will not need hplip .... as I say ........ Mint should set up automatically for you
krauster
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP M234dwe Printer - any problems?

Post by krauster »

thx for the answer about this. It is consistent with my experience with a brother inkjet that I bought a few years ago. I don't remember installing anything in Linux.
krauster
Level 4
Level 4

Post by krauster »

I bought the M234dwe printer and got it connected to my wifi network via an HP android app. And just by doing that as mentioned a few weeks ago, that is enough for the Linux Mint 20.2 laptop to just see it on the wifi network when I select Print from any linux application.

The HP printer has a scanner platen. With the android app I can tell the printer to scan and then send the file it creates to any Share option, like sending as an email attachment or sharing the file to my google drive. I was thinking I'd like to use Linux to tell the printer to scan so that I could automatically place the scanned file into a directory in Linux. I didn't see a program with GUI available in what is loaded in Mint, so I went to the Linux page of the HP site and downloaded an installer hplip-3.22.4.run and after remembering that I need to change the properties to executable I ran the .run file and it installed and during that asked if I wanted to replace the current hplib file with the newer downloaded. Which I did. When I read that message I realized that there must already be a program on there but I didn't know how to access it.

After the .run installed everything I found a file in the directory called hplip.desktop and I figured I should run that and doing so I get this window:
hp device manager.png
"Print Test Page" works and sends a test page to the printer and prints, so the connection is there.
I see that I have an icon for "Scan" that might allow me to use Linux to run the printer's scanner and maybe send the results to linux. But I get error messages:
hp error.png
hp error 2.png
UPDATE: I'm searching for info. I found a posting here:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175676705/

At the end of the post the guy says he got it working by running a series commands, uninstalling python and removing hplib and then doing a lot apt-gets and installs. Its not the amount of commands that worries me but being a newbie I always worry I might badly break something with this much removal and installations. Do any of the mods from these commands rip out important stuff needed by other programs?

Here is what is suggested:
"Okay, I eventually found the answer on another board, and here it is. It would appear that I was not the only one having problems installing the Scanner plugin."

HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw Installation & Plugin.

Problem solved with the following approach (terminal):
• sudo python uninstall.py
• sudo apt purge hplip*
• sudo apt-get -f install
• python -c 'import sys; print sys.path'
• sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
• sudo apt-get purge hplip hplip-data libhpmud0 libsane-hpaio printer-driver-hpcups hplip-gui
• sudo rm -r /usr/share/hplip
• sudo updatedb && locate hplip
• sudo apt install --reinstall python3-notify2 libsane-dev sane-utils libpthread-stubs0-dev python3-pil python3-dbus.mainloop.qt libssl1.1 libusb-1.0-0-dev python3-dev libsnmp-dev python3-reportlab libcupsfilters-dev libcups2-dev libcupsimage2-dev python3-pyqt4 python3-cups libjpeg-dev libcupsimage2-dev python3-hpilo python3-dbus python3-dev
• sudo apt-get update -y
• sudo apt-get install -y python-gobject
• RESTART
• Downloads hplip Version 3.20.5 from*https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-i...nting/gethplip
• sh hplip-3.20.5.run
• Downloads HP-Plugin from*https://developers.hp.com/sites/defa...0.5-plugin.run
• sh hplip-3.20.5-plugin.run
Last edited by krauster on Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

try hp-setup from the command line as that should download the missing plugin for your printer to enable scanner support. however, why did you install hplip from the hp website when the package is available in the repositories? it's called hplip-gui (not installed by default, only the libraries are for printer support)

I have an OfficeJet Pro 8720 which is also an MFP, that seems to work without a plugin for scanning so I was slightly surprised your newer LaserJet MFP still needs one. Mine is also only connected via Wi-Fi
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so perhaps I was not clear enough in my post: we are moving to a driverless era; so you should not need hplip;

by going down the hplip route, it needs a plug-in; that does not seem to be installed so you are getting this error message;

if you do

Code: Select all

driverless
and

lpinfo -v
please; it will tell us if and how Mint seems your 234;

if you do

apt install sane-airscan
that should also facilitate driverless scanning;

let us know the results of the 2 commands from the terminal
krauster
Level 4
Level 4

Post by krauster »

antikythera wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:10 pm try hp-setup from the command line as that should download the missing plugin for your printer to enable scanner support. however, why did you install hplip from the hp website when the package is available in the repositories? it's called hplip-gui (not installed by default, only the libraries are for printer support)

I have an OfficeJet Pro 8720 which is also an MFP, that seems to work without a plugin for scanning so I was slightly surprised your newer LaserJet MFP still needs one. Mine is also only connected via Wi-Fi
I just ran hp-setup and it asked me if I wanted to create a new printer queue and I said yes. This time it made
HP_LaserJet_MFP_M234dw_-BC42A6_

Can't remember, maybe at some yesterday I did find that I had XSane installed. Maybe I installed it. It was not working yesterday but now with the printer queue set up XSane does find the printer and works.

I have two old ones created from yesterday:
HP_LaserJet_MFP_M232-M237
HP_LaserJet_MFP_M232_M237

I have deleted them.

I do see that I have these options when I launch XSane and as long as I pick any of the ESCL or eSCL options it works. The HP option proceeds to try to go to HP to install stuff and times out.
ksnip_20220611-092743.png
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Earlier, it was said:
I bought the M234dwe printer and got it connected to my wifi network via an HP android app. And just by doing that as mentioned a few weeks ago, that is enough for the Linux Mint 20.2 laptop to just see it on the wifi network when I select Print from any linux application.
That's Driverless Printing in action. Nothing for you to do. Just like plugging a mouse in.

But then you went off on an HPLIP jag, aided and abetted by other users. Can we be absolutely clear here: HPLIP is not needed with a modern printer. It is redundant. Those who advise its use want carrier pigeons and not the telegraph.
I do see that I have these options when I launch XSane and as long as I pick any of the ESCL or eSCL options it works. The HP option proceeds to try to go to HP to install stuff and times out.ksnip_20220611-092743.png
You have, as advised, installed sane-airscan and have scanning operative.

Give

scanimage -L

airscan-discover
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”