Drivers for Canon TR150

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Drivers for Canon TR150

Post by banjoman »

Trying to get my new Canon TR150 going. Referring to topic viewtopic.php?f=51&t=368500 and webpage https://itsubuntu.com/how-to-install-ca ... ntu-20-04/. I am running Mint 20.3.

The ppa seems to have registered ok

Code: Select all

Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.XCjxsloNqx/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-keys E85CCE014112132659E6F35D3BA6E6CCE411CFCF
gpg: key 3BA6E6CCE411CFCF: public key "Launchpad PPA for Thierry HUCHARD" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
However the drivers cannot be located - I don't think I need scangearmp2 for this printer - TR150 is listed under the PPA info for cnijfilter2 in my terminal output

steve@steve-sony-laptop:~$ sudo apt install cnijfilter2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package cnijfilter2
steve@steve-sony-laptop:~$ sudo apt install scangearmp2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package scangearmp2
Any suggestions for overcoming this please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Drivers for Canon TR150

Post by brian_p »

banjoman wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:23 am Trying to get my new Canon TR150 going. Referring to topic viewtopic.php?f=51&t=368500 and webpage https://itsubuntu.com/how-to-install-ca ... ntu-20-04/. I am running Mint 20.3.
That's the first problem. You have decided that you need drivers from Canon. You definitely do not. I am not saying these drivers will not work, but I, personally, will not travel down the same same road as you. We have a better route on today's Mint.

I am going to break a golden rule of mine. I am going to assume you have a USB connection. Normally, I would ask. So install ipp-usb with

apt install ipp-usb
Disconnect from USB and reconnect. Now give (even if you are on wireless)

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp

driverless

lpsta -t
--
Brian.
banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by banjoman »

:D Thank you for the info. I linked my new Canon printer to my Android phone using the Canon PRINT app. After that I noticed the printer appeared on my laptop printer list, and it was indeed driverless. It seemed to do this automatically, but I will retain your code instructions. Do I need to run these? I do seem to have printer capability wirelessly now..... I am a keen Linux user, but still learning about aspects beyond GUI and simply using software - thank goodness for this forum! 8)
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

For my records, I would still be interested in

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
TIA.

Also, if you want scanning with simple-scan and xsanem it is advisable to install sane-airscan. Should you do so, the outputs of

scanimage -L
and

airscan-discover
would be useful to have.
--
Brian.
banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by banjoman »

:shock: update! the printer only printed images, attempting to print text documents resulted in a blank sheet, so I have returned it to the seller. Instead of upgrading I am back to my older HP deskjet 460, connected with USB.

Canon printer not linked to my laptop now and entry deleted from my printer utility, so no output from the code you provided.... Thanks for your help though, it will perhaps be useful in the future.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”