Need help installing Epson WF-3520 printer driver - SOLVED!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Need help installing Epson WF-3520 printer driver

Post by UltraNewbie »

I went to the main Epson website and worked my way from there to the available Linux drivers for the WF3520. Here are my choices. The first two look like the ones we've already tried. There is no sign that any of the others are "non-free" if that means require payment. And that brings me to the question of which one, or ones, of the other three do I need? The last one, "All-in-one package" sounds comprehensive, but it's labelled rather specifically as a "Scanner Driver". The other two are labelled as "Printer Driver" with Module Names "Epson Printer Utility" and "PC-FAX Driver". Do I need all three if I want to be able to print, scan, and fax? I probably wouldn't use the fax function, but might as well have the capability just in case.

Product Name Category Operation System Version Module Name Language Release Date
WF-3520 Series Printer Driver Linux latest ESC/P Driver (full feature) All language 09-18-2012
WF-3520 Series Printer Driver Linux 1.7.18 ESC/P-R Driver (generic driver) All language 01-27-2022
WF-3520 Series Printer Driver Linux 1.1.1 Epson Printer Utility All language 03-07-2022
WF-3520 Series Printer Driver Linux 1.0.0 PC-FAX Driver All language 02-21-2022
WF-3520 Series Scanner Driver Linux 2.30.4 All-in-one package All language 08-22-2019

The only reference to "non-free" that I could find anywhere was in the Epson Scan 2 Manual on this page: https://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/ The reference appeared to relate only to an optional package that I very much doubt I need:
"2. Installing plug-in package (When network scanning or optional image processing function is required)
$ rpm --upgrade epsonscan2-non-free-plugin-{ver}–{rel}.{arch}.rpm (or .deb) As for the "Image Scan!" which also has a link under "Scanner Driver" on the Manuals page, I don't think I need that either. The icon that works for scanning on my WinXP laptop is labelled simply "Epson Scan" and does everything I need.

For reference, I copy/pasted the full list of manuals from that link at the end of this post.

The second and third maunals (Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux; Epson Inkjet Printer Driver 2 (ESC/P-R) for Linux) refer in section 8.7 to choosing print quality settings:

The following items can be set with this software.
Ink : Enables the printer
Paper size : Select the paper size for your document.
Print quality : Select the media type and its print quality for your printing.

Weirdly, when I go into the print dialog window for printing a specific document, there is actually no category labelled "Print quality", but just a list of media types (it's under "Properties", then the "Device" tab, then choose "Media Type"). Each media type -- e.g. "Glossy Photo Paper", "Matte-Heavyweight" -- says "Standard" at the end, except "Plain Paper", which is listed twice, as "Plain Paper - Standard" and "Plain Paper - Best". And choosing "Plain Paper - Best" does indeed provide good quality output. Apparently with this driver, there's no high/best quality available for photo papers or matte-heavyweight papers?? Since standard quality is barely legible, that's strange.

So . . . I would still like to install whatever driver(s) I need that will give me the standalone Print Quality options that I have on my Mint 17.3 laptop (Draft, Normal, High), and which will enable me to use the scanner as I'm currently able to from my WinXP laptop (and maybe the fax function too, but that's not a priority). But I'm still not sure which of the drivers available on the Epson site I actually need.

---------------------------------------
Manual - Linux
Last modified : 2022.03.30

Inkjet Printer Driver
Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P) for Linux
Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux
Epson Inkjet Printer Driver 2 (ESC/P-R) for Linux

Laser Printer Driver
Epson Laser Printer Driver for Linux
List of Supported Distribution

PC-Fax Driver
Epson PC-Fax Driver for Linux

Printer Utility
Epson Printer Utility for Linux

Scanner Driver
Image Scan! for Linux Manual
Epson Scan 2 Manual
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so thinking we are heading off to install the full feature Epson driver;

firstly, ensure the old laptop is turned off, and that the printer is usb-connected, and turned on; to the new printer

I would start here https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/ and

end up as shown in the attached thumbnail and by clicking ACCEPT choose to download epson-inkjet-printer-201212w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

some folks' systems are set up so that a thing called GDEBI installer jumps in, and offer to "open" the package; open means install;

if it just ends up in your Downloads folder, you need to open that folder, and double-click on the epson icon;

it should 1) install the drivers and 2) register the printer with lpadmin (linux printing admin)

a NEW icon should be created; you just need to recognise which it is; for future reference; then try a test print; then rummage in the icon (right-click, and explore printer options to see if you can set higher print qualities)

Last edited by pdc_2 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

another option; to store at the back of the mind;

is to look at Turboprint: they have been making high quality drivers for 30yrs;

your printer is supported https://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint ... action=%3E

and one can download a free trial version; that now seems to offer ALL the features, but time-limited to 30 days for evaluation;

TP creates a clear icon in the printers folder saying Turboprint so it is clear which icon you are asking to control the printing; https://www.turboprint.info/ and the Epson page is here https://www.turboprint.info/printers_Epson.html

you can see the quality options available in Turboprint https://www.turboprint.info/printer_Eps ... F3620.html
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

pdc_2 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:31 pm so thinking we are heading off to install the full feature Epson driver;

firstly, ensure the old laptop is turned off, and that the printer is usb-connected, and turned on; to the new printer

I would start here https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/ and

end up as shown in the attached thumbnail and by clicking ACCEPT choose to download epson-inkjet-printer-201212w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb

some folks' systems are set up so that a thing called GDEBI installer jumps in, and offer to "open" the package; open means install;

if it just ends up in your Downloads folder, you need to open that folder, and double-click on the epson icon;

it should 1) install the drivers and 2) register the printer with lpadmin (linux printing admin)

a NEW icon should be created; you just need to recognise which it is; for future reference; then try a test print; then rummage in the icon (right-click, and explore printer options to see if you can set higher print qualities)

Anyway, I believe I have successfully downloaded the driver you identified. I'm going to hold off on installing/testing until tomorrow, due to other demands on my time tonight. Thanks for your help, and I'll report back soon.

I have the TurboPrint site bookmarked in my Linux bookmarks folder for future reference.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Attached thumbnail??? Attached to what? I can't find any thumbnail attached to this post.
....... sorry ....... means well ............ tries hard ...............

....... attached image now to that post;

If the .deb package is sitting in your Downloads folder, if you right-click on it, the top option should be "Install with G Debi installer"

.... if you select that, it will install the package for you; make sure the old laptop is turned off; and that the printer is on and connected to the new laptop
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

I'm back :) Needed to catch up on the other parts of my life.

So the driver in question was indeed in my Downloads folder. I double-clicked on it to try to install it, and got a pop-up message that reads:

Broken dependencies
Your system has broken dependencies. This application cannot continue until this is fixed. To fix it run 'pkexec synaptic' or 'sudo apt-get install -f' in a terminal window'.

Does it matter which one I run? Anything I need to know about how to "run" either of these, or do I just type it into the blinking box in the terminal and hit Enter?

Thanks,

Rested and refreshed UltraNewbie
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

if you type or paste the recommended command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -f
into a terminal; hit the ENTER key and let it happen

(when I see you getting these messages, it makes me fret there were some errors on the install of this latest system; hopefully the above command can resolve it all)
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

Sorry to make you fret!

So, I put that command into the terminal and here's what it says:
administrator@administrator-Latitude-E5570:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
[sudo] password for administrator:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
epson-inkjet-printer-201212w:i386
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 68 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 2,675 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
The package it says it's removing looks like it's the one I'm trying to install (or is it one of previous things we installed that didn't let me do the stuff I need to be able to do?). Should I go ahead and hit Y? Hopefully you understand what it's saying and will have some of your fretting alleviated. I just remain baffled but hopeful . . .
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

you must have a 64bit system;
epson-inkjet-printer-201212w:i386
it just wants to get rid of a 32bit package; let it do that;

I think when it has done its thing, if you look the 64bit package you need should still be in your Downloads folder, and you can then double-click on it to start the install
___________________________-

Dohhhhhhhhhhhh .... somehow I got it wrong a couple of posts back; you need the 64bit version

you need epson-inkjet-printer-201212w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

Okay, am relieved to know that *you* had previously made a mistake in what you told me to do. Because otherwise I'm afraid I would have been horribly hopelessly confused and seriously doubting my ability to accomplish this mission!

However, I had actually downloaded epson-inkjet-printer-201212w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb a day or so before you gave me the erroneous instruction to download the ___i386 version, and I thought I had installed the amd64 one, and it hadn't provided the needed functionality. But it's entirely possible that I did something wrong in that attempt, so will try installing it again now.

Wish me luck!
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

Okay, this is the same thing that happened before when I tried installing the amd64 version. I get a message saying "same version is already installed". There's also a button to "Reinstall package", so I'm trying that next, in case something went wrong with the previous installation.

. . . okay, done that . . . still produces message that "same version is already installed", but I suppose that makes sense . . .

Your earlier instruction message also said, in part:
Not seeing any new icon. There's the same "new" one that we created somehow a while back, just labelled WF3520, and its Properties do indeed show that it represents the correct printer that's actually here (serial # shown in the Device URI). But it has not acquired any new Print Quality options. I have it set as the default printer.

I also hunted around to see if I could find a scan function installed. Under Menu>Graphics>Document Scanner, there was a search-for-scanners function, and it "found" something identified as "Epson PID 0899". However, the options appear very different and much less clear than what I see when using the scan function via my old WinXP laptop. In the Document Scanner window, there's an "About Document Scanner" which describes Document Scanner as version 3.36.3 of a "Simple document scanning tool" -- no reference at all to Epson, so I'm thinking that this is not the Epson WF3520 document scanning function, even though it might enable me to do some scanning with the Epson WF3520.

My priority right now is the print quality options. And I have a funny feeling that if we can get that working right, the full featured scan function may magically appear simultaneously.

Any more ideas???
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

endless problems

for scanning Epson provide a scanner driver http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 5a8b5b04ea

if you can follow through the slightly confusing Epson clicks, you need to download iscan-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb.tar.gz

to install, if you open a terminal and paste in the commands

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf iscan-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb.tar.gz

cd iscan-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb

sudo ./install.sh
that should install the Epson driver and xsane should be able to work then
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

Okay, major progress! My scan function works! Wheeeeeeeeee!!!

I didn't do it exactly the way you said -- never went to the terminal, because after I downloaded the package, things seemed to be moving along nicely without opening up the terminal. Is there any reason I should go back and do anything in the terminal?

What is "sudo ./install.sh" -- does it do anything besides just install the package, which seems to be fully installed and working, as far as I can tell?

What is "xsane"?

So I think the scanning issue is officially SOLVED. Can you work some of your magic on my Print function??

XO,
Happy, grateful, scan-capable UltraNewbie
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Is there any reason I should go back and do anything in the terminal?
.... no ...... sounds like driver installed

xsane is just the "front" that drives the scanner; it has lots of options
What is "sudo ./install.sh"
just the command that would have installed the package, but it sounds like Mint just leapt in and did it for you: good

now I just have to go back and work out where you are with the printing

If you click on the box that lists where all your files are ...... click on File System ............ then look for the icon for etc ........ click on that to open it ...... scroll down to cups ...... click on that to open it ........ look for ppd ......... click on that to open it ........ can you do a screenshot to show us what is in there ..... wondering if there is an Epson ppd
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

Looks like a "ppd" for each of the printer icons that appear in Administration>Printers. The one that is just labelled "WF3520" is the new icon, and is currently set as the default printer.
Screenshot from 2022-06-27 21-31-29.png
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

The one that is just labelled "WF3520" is the new icon, and is currently set as the default printer.
. and it prints ....... but the quality is poor ?? .......
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

Yes, it prints, but does not have the options that I've always had when printing from my older Mint 17.3 laptop. With the new laptop, there is no actual print quality category from which to choose Draft/Standard/High (from the old laptop, only "High" has ever produced acceptable quality, and this has been true for both of the WF3520 I have). With the new laptop, from the print dialog window for a specific document to be printed, the button labelled "Properties" leads to a window with tabs labelled "Paper" and "Device". Under "Device" (which is where the Print Quality options appear on my old laptop) there are only 2 categories, "Media Type" and "Ink". Ink offers the choices of "Color" or "Monochrome" (the latter being differently named than on my old laptop, but apparently having the same functions). "Media Type" offers the following choices, so only the "Plain Paper" offers options, and only 2 vs the 3 on the old laptop.
Screenshot from 2022-06-27 23-03-39.png
"Plain Paper - Best" produces acceptable quality, but it appears that I would not have a properly functioning option for good quality when printing to glossy, photo, or other types of paper. I just can't believe that this is best available driver for this model printer using Mint 20.3, when I have a much better choice using Mint 17.3. On the 17.3 laptop, under the "Device" tab, there are 12 categories (vs the 2 I'm seeing on the new laptop). The categories are:
-- Type (this is the choice of media/paper type, and includes plain papers, matter various degrees of glossy, semigloss, and "envelope")
-- Quality Options (with plain paper selected under Type, the choices are Draft/Standard/High; for all other media/paper types, the choices are just Standard and High)
-- Color (offers options labelled "Color" and "Grayscale")
-- Borderless
-- Reduce/Enlarge
-- By Output Paper Size
-- By Percentage
-- Adjust Print Density
-- Poster Printing
-- Rotate 180 degrees
-- Mirror Image
-- Watermark
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

For comparison:

New laptop
Screenshot from 2022-06-27 21-31-29.png
Old laptop
52.png
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

what does

lpinfo -m | grep WF-3520
give now please?
UltraNewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UltraNewbie »

administrator@administrator-Latitude-E5570:~$ lpinfo -m | grep WF-3520
lsb/usr/epson-inkjet-printer-201212w/Epson/Epson-WF-3520_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz Epson WF-3520 Series - epson-inkjet-printer 1.0.0-1lsb3.2 (Seiko Epson Corporation LSB 3.2)
escpr:0/cups/model/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/Epson-WF-3520_Series-epson-escpr-en.ppd Epson WF-3520 Series, Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux
administrator@administrator-Latitude-E5570:~$

Return to “Printers & Scanners”