Brother Printer DCP-J1200W

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Brother Printer DCP-J1200W

Post by dave1953 »

My trusty Canon printer is showing technician required message, done all usual cleaning, different cartridges but I believe the condition is terminal as not economically viable to seek a repair. Considering the purchase of a new Brother DCP-J1200W colour inkjet and wondered if anyone has any experience of this model or type, please? It does seem to have decent Linux support.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Brother Printer DCP-J1200W

Post by gittiest personITW »

There are many reasons that message could be showing.
Some just to get you to buy a new printer, and some for a genuine reason.

You don't specify the model number of the Canon.
Check for bits of paper/dust/paperclips in the machine. Give it a gentle shake to see if anything is rattling inside it and a vacuum.
If it is an inkjet, sometimes there is an 'overflow' ink font or sponge that can be cleared out to fix the message.
It will mean taking most of the outer casing off. Each printer is different so it might not be accessible without 'breaking' the casing - and this might not be the problem anyway. Epsom printers had a habit of doing this once they had reached a ripe old age of, maybe 3 or 5 years old but that was fixable mostly.

Anyway - can you be more specific on the model and have a youtube search also.
Let us know how it goes if you do try it.
Otherwise, good luck with the new printer with which I'm sure you'll receive some reviews.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

dave1953 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:36 pm My trusty Canon printer is showing technician required message, done all usual cleaning, different cartridges but I believe the condition is terminal as not economically viable to seek a repair. Considering the purchase of a new Brother DCP-J1200W colour inkjet and wondered if anyone has any experience of this model or type, please? It does seem to have decent Linux support.
Buy with complete confidence. It supports driverless printing. That's deceny+++. Forget about Brother drivers.
--
Brian.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

Thanks for the responses. The Canon printer is a TR4550, great driver support and the suggestion of taking it apart may well be a very good one. Can't remember how long I've had it, can't find the invoice, probably a couple of years or more but the printer was ridiculously cheap (£39.95 brand new boxed, Currys Half-Price Sale), decent results, great Linux driver support, so absolutely doesn't owe me anything, I always feel it is too easy these days to just bin it and buy a new replacement, so in all conscience I may well do a little more digging on the maintenance front before committing to a new printer.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

dave1953 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:34 pm Thanks for the responses. The Canon printer is a great driver support...
The TR4550 also has superb driverless support. Time for some homework, methinks :).
--
Brian.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

Yes I've noticed this "driverless" entry when I've correctly installed the TR4550 Canon driver as provided by the manufacturer. Never used "driverless", always used the manufacturers recommended solution. If I buy a new printer it will be after researching the manufacturers support pages prior to purchase.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I have a Brother MFC-J5830DW and love it. Brother has good Linux support and I would recommend Brother printers.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:53 pm I have a Brother MFC-J5830DW and love it. Brother has good Linux support and I would recommend Brother printers.
Mint has excellent and well-supported built-in support for all modern printers :D.
--
Brian.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

It does. And I can even get my ancient unsupported dirt cheap Ricoh SP-211 mono laser printer to work in any distribution with some workarounds.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

dave1953 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:34 pm £39.95 brand new boxed, Currys Half-Price Sale
sadly not as big a bargain as it sounds, that's a regular price fixing tactic by Canon, HP, Epson to rope you into buying more expensive consumables for the printer. some people were just buying a printer instead of replacement cartridges until all the printer manufacturers cottoned onto this and started inserting 'setup' cartridges in them with enough ink to make sure the printer works when you get it unboxed at home or work and maybe 10 more pages if you are lucky.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

In fact I checked the price online and equivalent outlets were genuinely offering the device for around £79.95, so for the specification offered it WAS a great deal. Obviously it's a given that printer manufacturers make their money on the inks, charging outrageous prices for genuine inks with dire warnings about using third party ink. Bear in mind this is a wifi colour printer, scanner, copier and fax in a compact format.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”