[SOLVED] HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw Won't Scan After Mint OS Reinstall

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FenderGuy

[SOLVED] HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw Won't Scan After Mint OS Reinstall

Post by FenderGuy »

Guys, the GOOD news is that my laptop runs great now - after the reinstall; the newly discovered BAD news is that, while my printer shows in the lower panel of the screen, my printer won't print!

What am I missing?

Thanks, guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw Won't Print After Mint OS Reinstall

Post by gittiest personITW »

You don't say what you've tried, so, just in case, try installing hplip.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID1

Let us know how it goes.

Also it might be worth following instructions at number 5 in the following link in your reply if you still need help.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

FenderGuy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:22 am Guys, the GOOD news is that my laptop runs great now - after the reinstall; the newly discovered BAD news is that, while my printer shows in the lower panel of the screen, my printer won't print!

What am I missing?

Thanks, guys.
It all depends! We are missing knowing whether the connection is network or USB :).
--
Brian.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

well driverless clearly isn't working :roll:

best option is to try what gittiest said
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

brian_p wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:23 pm
FenderGuy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:22 am Guys, the GOOD news is that my laptop runs great now - after the reinstall; the newly discovered BAD news is that, while my printer shows in the lower panel of the screen, my printer won't print!

What am I missing?

Thanks, guys.
It all depends! We are missing knowing whether the connection is network or USB :).
USB
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

antikythera wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:25 pm well driverless clearly isn't working :roll:

best option is to try what gittiest said
Thanks! Will check it now.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

gittiest personITW wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 pm You don't say what you've tried, so, just in case, try installing hplip.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID1

Let us know how it goes.

Also it might be worth following instructions at number 5 in the following link in your reply if you still need help.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
I'll check it out. Thanks.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

I've gotten to the point where I can now print, but I have not tried to scan. Will do that shortly.
Last edited by FenderGuy on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

FenderGuy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:25 pm
brian_p wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:23 pm

What am I missing?

Thanks, guys.
USB
You appear to have everything under control. Good. Signing out for now.
--
Brian.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

Not at all. Frankly, I'm befuddled. :roll:
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

..... prints? ......

.. but does not scan?

try

Code: Select all

apt install sane-airscan
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

Will do. Thanks. Been at it all day, literally! :shock:
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

run sudo hp-setup from the terminal and let it install the plugins required for scanning via USB with your printer. airscan won't help, still don't understand why people are missing the fact you are using USB, not wireless with your MFP :?
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

FenderGuy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:26 pm Will do. Thanks. Been at it all day, literally! :shock:
It is essential you install ipp-usb alongside sane-airscan

apt install sane-airscan ipp-usb
Disconnect from USB and reconnect and give

scanimage -L
--
Brian.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

antikythera wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:20 pm run sudo hp-setup from the terminal and let it install the plugins required for scanning via USB with your printer. airscan won't help, still don't understand why people are missing the fact you are using USB, not wireless with your MFP :?
Well, antikythera, I ran sudo hp-setup from the terminal; something WAS installed, however, when I select Document Scanner (i.e., Graphics > Document Scanner) from my menu bar, nothing happens. Did I not follow your instructions properly?

To be clear: My attempt to scan was via Menu > Graphics > Document Scanner... and the wheel went round... and round, and nothing happened.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

FenderGuy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:13 pm
Well, antikythera, I ran sudo hp-setup from the terminal; something WAS installed, however, when I select Document Scanner (i.e., Graphics > Document Scanner) from my menu bar, nothing happens. Did I not follow your instructions properly?

To be clear: My attempt to scan was via Menu > Graphics > Document Scanner... and the wheel went round... and round, and nothing happened.
Apparently, you intended installong sane-airscan (plus ipp-usb, of course). Any news on that?
--
Brian.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

brian_p wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:24 pm
FenderGuy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:13 pm

Apparently, you intended installong sane-airscan (plus ipp-usb, of course). Any news on that?
No, I didn't; antikythera said it wouldn't do anything for a USB-connected printer, and I don't want to pollute and bloat my laptop with useless software.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

FenderGuy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:37 pm
No, I didn't; antikythera said it wouldn't do anything for a USB-connected printer, and I don't want to pollute and bloat my laptop with useless software.
antikythera is wildly off the mark. Whether your device supports IPP-over-USB is open to question, but it quite likely does. Bloat (?) versus scanning. Your choice.

(Packages are easily removed with apt).
--
Brian.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

brian_p wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:53 pm
FenderGuy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:37 pm
antikythera is wildly off the mark. Whether your device supports IPP-over-USB is open to question, but it quite likely does. Bloat (?) versus scanning. Your choice.

(Packages are easily removed with apt).
Point taken. We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned... :roll:
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I am not wildy off the mark. I happen to know ipp-usb and avahi-daemon are a pain in the backside where hp laserjet mfps are concerned (his MFP is not even listed on the airscan git as supported), it may work once or twice if you manage to get a scan using ipp-usb but not permanently. but I will let you keep leading fenderguy up the garden path.
Last edited by antikythera on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”