[SOLVED] HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw Won't Scan After Mint OS Reinstall

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw Won't Print After Mint OS Reinstall

Post by FenderGuy »

FenderGuy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:14 pm
brian_p wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:53 pm
FenderGuy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:37 pm
No, I didn't; antikythera said it wouldn't do anything for a USB-connected printer, and I don't want to pollute and bloat my laptop with useless software.
antikythera is wildly off the mark. Whether your device supports IPP-over-USB is open to question, but it quite likely does. Bloat (?) versus scanning. Your choice.

(Packages are easily removed with apt).
Point taken. We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned... :roll:
What is the syntax for removing packages from the OS? I think I just may NEED that one, by the time I get to the end of this arduous journey! :P :oops:
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Linux Mint 21.3 (Cinnamon)
Rescuezilla 2.4.2 (Focal)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

use synaptic package manager or apt purge packagename1 packagename2

I just put two as an example, you can list as many as needed like that. purge removes the package and it's configuration files. the synaptic equivalent is right click and choose complete removal.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

antikythera wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:59 pm use synaptic package manager or apt purge packagename1 packagename2

I just put two as an example, you can list as many as needed like that. purge removes the package and it's configuration files. the synaptic equivalent is right click and choose complete removal.
Am I correct in assuming that: 1) Synaptic Package Remover will display the previously installed package names, and 2) Apt Purge requires that I know the package names? I'm an old man, and my memory is, well,
not what it used to be. :roll:

Thanks, antikythera. :wink:
Last edited by FenderGuy on Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

synaptic isn't a package remover, it is a full package manager with a graphical interface which makes it a bit easier to work with. basically a front end for apt.

you still need to know the package names but they are in this thread if you need to look the names up.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

antikythera wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:00 pm synaptic isn't a package remover, it is a full package manager with a graphical interface which makes it a bit easier to work with. basically a front end for apt.

you still need to know the package names but they are in this thread if you need to look the names up.
Okay. Thank you, sir. :wink:
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

How are you going on with HPLIP and hp-setup, FenderGuy? Success with scanning, we imagine.
--
Brian.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

brian_p wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:09 pm How are you going on with HPLIP and hp-setup, FenderGuy? Success with scanning, we imagine.
Took a pause for the holiday. Enjoyin' the weekend with my wife and our extended family.

Will probably get back to it next Monday. Stay tuned... :wink:
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

FenderGuy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:19 pm
Took a pause for the holiday. Enjoyin' the weekend with my wife and our extended family.

We wait with bated breath :). Enjoy the holiday.
--
Brian.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

brian_p wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:25 pm
FenderGuy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:19 pm

We wait with bated breath :). Enjoy the holiday.
Me, too. :wink:
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

Starting a new thread, clarifying my issue.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

antikythera wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:12 pm I am not wildy off the mark. I happen to know ipp-usb and avahi-daemon are a pain in the backside where hp laserjet mfps are concerned
Where is this known from? Not in this forum or elsewhere. Please give an example from a Mint user.
antikythera wrote: (his MFP is not even listed on the airscan git as supported),
That's because it has not been tested and recorded. Rather a simple explanation when given some thought.
antikythera wrote: it may work once or twice if you manage to get a scan using ipp-usb but not permanently.
Really? Evidence?
antikythera wrote: but I will let you keep leading fenderguy up the garden path.
Being accused of deliberate deception when helping a use is not something I've encounter before. I've had to go and have a lie down for a few days to recover from the shock. Overall, you are talking through your fundament.
--
Brian.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw Won't Print After Mint OS Reinstall

Post by FenderGuy »

Okay, guys, I finally resolved the scanning issues on my HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw printer/scanner.

For full functionality, Linux Mint 20.3 requires HPLIP 3.22.6 or higher to be installed.

I copied the hplip-3.22.6 .run and .asc files to my laptop's Desktop, then ran the program in graphics mode.

It worked like charm - and I can now print AND scan with my HP Laserject Pro MFP M127fw! :D

Thanks for the assist, guys.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

brian_p wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:09 pm How are you going on with HPLIP and hp-setup, FenderGuy? Success with scanning, we imagine.
Yes, finally. I discovered that Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) requires HPLIP 3.22.6 or later for full printing/scanning functionality. I installed HPLIP in GUI mode and now have full functionality of my printer,/scanner.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”