Epson Perfection V600

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ImConfused
Level 1
Level 1

Epson Perfection V600

Post by ImConfused »

I just upgraded from LM 19.3 to LM 20.3 about 2 days ago. My Epson V600 USB scanner did not work with the upgrade. I tried the scanner software that was on the Epson website and had no luck. Today I checked the website again. They had a new driver software setup bundle.. Now my scanner is recognized and working. I don't know when this problem with LM 20 began but if it started at the beginning of the cycle it was 2 years without a driver. Supposedly you can use backend sane drivers but I was getting no where in trying to get it to work. I am just happy I waited so long to upgrade.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Second Round
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Epson Perfection V600

Post by Second Round »

necro-reply here - hope you're still around, ImConfused

Like you, I just upgraded from LM 19.3. However, I went to LM 21.1 recently, and I also have an Epson V600 scanner.

Building the driver from the source file did not work - though it seemed to click and whirr a whole bunch in terminal before resulting in no program installation I could find - it wasn't added to the start menu (and I didn't know where to go looking for it ... or what it should be. Not a *.exe file I suspect!)

Finally I succeeded in getting epsonscan2 installed via a deb file

epsonscan2-bundle-6.7.0.0.x86_64.deb

and its ./install.sh script. Initial scan efforts produced some poor results, but some major tweaks of the default settings seem to have fixed that ... but only for B&W and greyscale scans. Color scans to jpeg and pdf are messed up - they all have a bright green tint (across the entire scan, not just a line), and I can't seem to get rid of it even in photo editor. And I can't find a setting that will allow me to change hue or otherwise get rid of the bright green tint.

Should I try an older driver? Epson has a page with older source files:
https://support.epson.net/linux/src/scanner/epsonscan2/

I'm pretty sure that under LM 19.3 I did not use the most recent source file listed on that page. It was a 6.6 something, not 6.7. Perhaps I should try that. But for now B&W and greyscale works.
mef120749
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mef120749 »

I don't think installing earlier drivers on 21.1 is going to work. I have the same problem with scans being nothing but green. I tried reverting to earlier drivers but it failed to install because it wants libboost-filesystem1.71.0 and the upgrade replaced it with libboost-filesystem1.74.0. So I think I'm stuck with it until epson fixes their scanner software. Maybe they should try testing it on a real system before they inflict it on everyone.
Second Round
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Second Round »

Oh bother. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll try to reach out to Epson and see if anyone reads their customer feedback. I think it'll be important for me to note that it once DID work under LM 19.3, so that they don't think this is a case where it never really did work on a distro they perhaps never tested.

You mentioned your scans were nothing but green? Like a solid green rectangle? Mine aren't solid green. I can see the underlying document (not that well), but it looks as if seen through a green-tinted cellophane window.

On the B&W and greyscale side, I do find it functional. Initial scans were pretty bad but "remove background" option helped with greyscale, and going to 600 resolution helped with B&W. Both really. But that does create a larger filesize - and it appears to me that scan file sizes have increased substantially, even taking into account 600 vs 300 and greyscale vs. B&W. For instance, in the USA, tax forms are starting to go out, and I scan them to PDF each year and send to our tax preparer. Comparing the same forms from last year to this year, the scans this year are significantly larger (275 KB vs 41). Both B&W (not greyscale). I can't be sure the latter was 600 resolution, but I do know that doing this year's form at 300 resolution resulted in much lower sharpness ... i.e., I had to do this year's at 600 to get the same sharpness as the scan last year. So either last year's was at 600 too, or the software isn't producing as sharp scans before for the same settings.
mef120749
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mef120749 »

In regards to the color problem, the image is there, but everything is a shade of green. It's like the other colors have been disabled or turned off and like you I couldn't find any setting that would make a difference. I didn't save a copy of the previous epsonscan2-bundle-6.6.40.0.x86_64.deb which has been replaced on Epson's web site by epsonscan2-bundle-6.7.0.0.x86_64.deb. The thing I tried was imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-20-3.65.0.x64.deb, which is the one that failed because of the libboost mismatch that was caused by the Mint 21.1 upgrade. I know I got that from Epson's web site but I don't see anything like that there now. In any case, I assume that any previous version will fail because of the mismatch, and that there wouldn't be any point in trying to build a previous version from source without getting into the code and trying to fix it. Ugh.
Second Round
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Second Round »

Update sent to me 1/24/2023:
Thank you for contacting Epson America. We have received your request and are escalating this issue for investigation. You will receive an update from us soon.
I should note, I haven't tried Xsane or any other generic scanner drivers. If I get to the point where I need color scanning - I will try them. Fortunately I finished a big color scanning project before upgrading to 21.1 and having epsonscan2 fall on its face.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”