[Mint 21][kinda solved] Print job canceled

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
changke
Level 1
Level 1

[Mint 21][kinda solved] Print job canceled

Post by changke »

Update
Printing works now by installing "hplip-gui" package and add the printer via the HP GUI Tool. It will add an additional printer beside the one discovered by cups, which uses hpcups driver instead of driverless/cups-filter.

----------
Upgraded from 20.3 to 21 successfully.

HP LaserJet MFP 234dwe, worked perfectly under Mint 20.3.

After upgrading I can no longer print from Mint: Browser, PDF viewer, Print test page whatever.

No obvious error messages in /var/log/cups. Just says "Print job canceled at printer." and "Backend returned status 5 (cancel job)".

Printer worked as usual with Android.

Have tried uninstall the new ipp-usb, no help.

Anyone has an idea why and how to solve?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [Mint 21] Print job canceled

Post by brian_p »

I haven't a clue about Print job canceled at printer. Perhaps we can set up a new print queue from scratch? But first; is it your intention to use USB or wireless (the Android uses wireless)?

Was the upgrade a new installation?
--
Brian.
changke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changke »

Thanks!

The printer is used as network printer. Was always discovered automatically and "just worked".

From Android it prints via the Android's printer interface or the App by HP, it also worked with MacOS Airplay.

All settings of printer is its default, it is not a professional line product so I cannot find a way to check if there are any logs from printer side.

No any firmware / software updates on printer either, so I could only suspect on Mint upgrading.

The upgrading is not a new installation but done via "mintupgrade" tool. The upgrade process went smoothly as I don't have any "hacks" on the system.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

changke wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:12 pm Thanks!

The printer is used as network printer. Was always discovered automatically and "just worked".
That sounds as though the system was doing its job and using driverless printing with an auto setup by cups-browsed.
From Android it prints via the Android's printer interface or the App by HP, it also worked with MacOS Airplay.
These apps basically use driverless printing too.

Let's see what the following commands give:

Code: Select all

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp

driverless

lpstat -t
--
Brian.
changke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changke »

Thanks!

I can provide these information next week.

Just to mention: I tried install "hplip-gui" package, and from there I added my printer again, now there are two printers shown in Mint's printer panel.

I suppose they are using different drivers, one "driverless, cups-filter" another "hpcups".

Now, if I choose the one added via hplip-gui to print, it works!

So maybe it was really a "driverless" regression issue? Since in Mint 21 it has a new version.
DVScuba
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Mint 21][kinda solved] Print job canceled

Post by DVScuba »

This saved me. Thanks!!
Fil1979
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Mint 21][kinda solved] Print job canceled

Post by Fil1979 »

I had the same issue with an HP M15W Laser Jet.

Opened the CUPS interface at Localhost:631, changed the printer for the driver from HP Laser Jet M14-17, driverless, cups-filters, 1.28.15 (en) to Laser Jet M14-M17 - IPP Everywhere.

Problem solved for me.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”