Can't access Printers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Melu
Level 2
Level 2

Can't access Printers

Post by Melu »

Hello everyone,

I'm installing an HP printer on my Linux Mint (20.1 Cinnamon), without great results: I can't complete the installation suggested me by the HP developers for linux, altho I managed to add the printer and make it visible to "Print..." (for example with pdf reader) and it can print.

Problems are now two:
1) Printing starts late, after 10 min;
2) Now I can't open "Printers" and so can't manage them, remove old and add new ones.

Also (for problem 1): I don't have the USB cable (might be able to get it later) so it's working only via network.
Any ideas?

Giving: lpstat -l -e printer is listed:

Code: Select all

... permanent ipp://localhost/printers/HP_DeskJet_ ... 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Society does not consist of individuals, but expresses the sum of interrelations, the relations within which these individuals stand.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't access Printers

Post by gittiest personITW »

Can you follow number 5 in the following link.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

Also, quite importantly, include the make/model of printer and how you are connected (usb/network/wifi/rs232 etc)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Melu

which model is your printer?

It escapes many on the forum; but we are moving to a "driverless" era: it has been creeping up for a while;

so since about 2014, essentially all printers are "airprint compatible" and should not need drivers;

Mint 21 comes from Ubuntu 22.04 and was another step on this ..... seemingly remorseless ..... pathway

........ so you may well not need hplip ........
Melu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Melu »

pdc_2 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:17 pm
gittiest personITW wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:17 pm
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6
https://termbin.com/8ekr

My new printer is a HP DeskJet 2720e All-in-one.
Society does not consist of individuals, but expresses the sum of interrelations, the relations within which these individuals stand.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

reading again from the beginning, I now see you wrote this
Now I can't open "Printers" and so can't manage them, remove old and add new ones.
how long have you been using 20.1; that sounds like a faulty install; I fear you may need a clean install; and as 21 is now out, its printing is more recent

the 2720e is a "driverless" printer; so it should not need any drivers; Mint "should" set it up automatically
Melu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Melu »

pdc_2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:03 pmreading again from the beginning, I now see you wrote this
Now I can't open "Printers" and so can't manage them, remove old and add new ones.
how long have you been using 20.1; that sounds like a faulty install; I fear you may need a clean install; and as 21 is now out, its printing is more recent

the 2720e is a "driverless" printer; so it should not need any drivers; Mint "should" set it up automatically
Mmhh, Printers was working some time ago when I was using other printers, so I don't think it is a 20.1 fault? You recommend me to update so?

Thanks for replying btw
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

When you said that 'Printers' won't open, what exactly happens when you try. Does it come with an error message or does it flash up, or does it open but freeze?
Melu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Melu »

gittiest personITW wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:30 am When you said that 'Printers' won't open, what exactly happens when you try. Does it come with an error message or does it flash up, or does it open but freeze?
Cursors change to "loading" and then comes back to its normal state, but the Printers window will not open at all.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

As a troubleshooting step, can you make a new account and see if Printers opens in there.
Melu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Melu »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:20 am As a troubleshooting step, can you make a new account and see if Printers opens in there.
Printers doesn't work with another user

Return to “Printers & Scanners”