No suitable Destination Host found by cups-browsed - HP MFP-M477fdn

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spstepp
Level 1
Level 1

No suitable Destination Host found by cups-browsed - HP MFP-M477fdn

Post by spstepp »

I am running Mint 21, Kernel 5.15.0-48-generic and am unable to use one of my printers.

There is a Brother HL-22400 connected by USB that works just fine and an HP MFP-M477fdn connected by ethernet to my network.

Mint finds both printers just fine but when I attempt to print to the HP I receive "No suitable Destination Host found by cups-browsed". The HP scanner is not found either.

I've read a number of posts about this issue and I'll have to admit the solutions are over my head.

Can someone walk me through getting my HP printer/scanner working, or point me to an appropriate resource, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: No suitable Destination Host found by cups-browsed - HP MFP-M477fdn

Post by gittiest personITW »

Just posted on another thread so this is a copy/paste mostly but that was for a wirelessly connected m477fdw so it might be worth waiting for another answer just in case.

I'm not sure if this is the 'correct' way to do it but this worked for me for an HP M477fdw which stopped printing on the network for some reason (wireless) even though it could be seen on the network and the computer seemed to think it was printing ok.
After trying hplip (kelebek333 ppa) and trying to go through the 'add printer' settings and choosing the named printer, it still didn't work properly or it didn't show Duplex option.
The only way I managed to get it working correctly was
in /usr/share/HP/ppd find the printer model. Copy the tar.gz file to your /Downloads folder. Extract it. You have a .ppd file. Give it a wave and whisper sweet words to it.

Menu
Printers
Add printer.
ignored named printers this time.
in the Network Printer, type in the ip address of the printer. Find.
In the right hand box click "HP Linux imaging and printing (HPLIP)". Forward.
It searches for drivers. Now click provide PPD file. and navigate to your newly extracted ppd file.
It found Duplex drivers and works nicely again.
Then duplicated that and made a couple others (colour duplex, colour single, b/w duplex, b/w single - choose your favourite for default by right-clicking in the Printers window.)
Let us know if that works. As I said, this might not be the correct way to do it but this was the only way I could get it to work after spending far too much time trying to get the printer to print on the network rather than sticking a USB into it and just printing from that which would have taken a few seconds!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”