Scanning/Printing on Epson ET-8500: What are my options?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bumcheeks
Level 1
Level 1

Scanning/Printing on Epson ET-8500: What are my options?

Post by bumcheeks »

G'day,
It appears that SANE isn't compatible with my new multifunction printer/scanner, which I think is a fairly new model. What are my options? I've installed the Epson driver but I can't even get the document scanner to see the hardware.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Scanning on Epson ET-8500: What are my options?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Prior to LM 21 Cinnamon, I had to go thru a lot of effort to get our ET-2550 to work

after upgrading to LM21 Cinnamon, it automatically installed the printer, and just works and I now see "Driverless" mentioned when it prints or scans.

and I am now happy to see that it can see the toner levels, that was not possible with the generic install files.

Wish I could help you, but maybe try LM21 on a USB stick to see if that helps you?

ET-2550.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Mint version, please. USB? Network?
--
Brian.
bumcheeks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bumcheeks »

Sorry. 20.3 and it's on wifi.

The reason I haven't upgraded to 21 yet is because when it tried to I got a long list of errors relating to software that doesn't seem to be supported in 21. So it got thrown in the "too-hard" basket for now.

Edit: Looks like Epson doesn't provide Linux drivers for that printer either. I was able to connect it yesterday but not today. I may need to make a separate thread.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Install sane-airscan and give the outputs for

Code: Select all

scanimage -L

airscan-discover
--
Brian.
bumcheeks
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Scanning/Printing on Epson ET-8500: What are my options?

Post by bumcheeks »

scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

airscan-discover
[devices]
I've also upgraded my laptop to Mint 21. I can't see the printer at all on either computer now. My desktop is still on Mint 20.3. I've added printing to the title of the thread. I know my printer is on the wireless network as I can use AirPrint from my phone. So I'm not really sure what is going on.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

bumcheeks wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:28 am
The scanimage -L output is very worrying. The ET-8500 dates from about 2020/2021 and provides Airprint. This should not happen, whether it be Mint 20.3 or Mint 21.

May we stick with the laptop and find out what is given by

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
(By all means try it with the other computer too).
--
Brian.
donten
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donten »

Dropping this like a bomb :wink: , https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/set ... sing-sane/ Setting up a network scanner using sane.

Chock full of interesting details... So far I've had 2 all-in-ones plugged into my Linksys 32x router, both working with sane.

There is a debian page: https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork , and lots more out there. You will get your hands dirty, and likely end up with a working installation, to boot!
donten
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donten »

Just done:

Great for hanging above your desk! :lol:
bumcheeks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bumcheeks »

+ enp10s0 IPv4 Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix @ ****-System-Product-Name Internet Printer     local
+     lo IPv4 Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix @ ****-System-Product-Name Internet Printer     local
=     lo IPv4 Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix @ ****-System-Product-Name Internet Printer     local
   hostname = [****-System-Product-Name.local]
   address = [127.0.0.1]
   port = [631]
   txt = ["printer-type=0x80B00E" "printer-state=5" "Color=T" "TLS=1.2" "UUID=082d5896-72a9-3f54-7a17-623af8c5adfb" "URF=DM3" "pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,application/postscript,image/jpeg,image/png,image/pwg-raster,image/urf" "product=(ESC/P Dot Matrix Printer)" "priority=0" "note=" "adminurl=https://****-System-Product-Name.local.:631/printers/Generic-ESC-P-Dot-Matrix" "ty=Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix Printer Foomatic/epson (recommended)" "rp=printers/Generic-ESC-P-Dot-Matrix" "qtotal=1" "txtvers=1"]
Failed to resolve service 'Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix @ ****-System-Product-Name' of type '_ipp._tcp' in domain 'local': Timeout reached
This is on the desktop. I'll edit this reply with the laptop output too. I've since found the drivers on the Epson website with the help of the Mint IRC, for some reason when I searched it said there were none available.

Edit: no response on the laptop at all.

So, I can't connect the printers at all to either computer. Should I start a new thread, because this is obviously a bigger problem than just scanning.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

The entry for the Dot Matrix is a print queue set up on the desktop. We can ignore it. But wer cannot ignore this:
bumcheeks wrote: Failed to resolve service 'Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix @ ****-System-Product-Name' of type '_ipp._tcp' in domain 'local': Timeout reached
Avavhi is unable to locate the device in .local domain. This indicates a network issie, not a printer issue. Firewall? Check that port 5353 is not blocked. Note that your phone is OK and does not need a PC to function,
--
Brian.
bumcheeks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bumcheeks »

I've added a rule in the firewall to allow incoming connections to 5353, but it hasn't changed anything.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

bumcheeks wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:29 am I've added a rule in the firewall to allow incoming connections to 5353, but it hasn't changed anything.
I'd take the firewall down completely and see what happens.

Also, get the printer's IP address from its front panel and try

ping IP_ADDRESS

nmap IP_ADDRESS[
--
Brian.
bumcheeks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bumcheeks »

PING IP_ADDRESS (192.168.*****) 56(84) bytes of data.
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted

nmap 192.168.*******
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2022-10-28 10:49 AEDT
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 3.02 seconds
Same result with or without firewall.

That's on my desktop. I'll try today on my laptop as well and edit this post. I used the printer's own interface to "troubleshoot" network problems and it think it's connected without any problems to our network.

Edit: Laptop results

ping 192.168.****
PING 192.168.***** (192.168.*****) 56(84) bytes of data.
--- 192.168.***** ping statistics ---
87 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 88066ms

nmap 192.168.*****
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2022-10-29 22:08 AEDT
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 3.04 seconds
ETA: On our Macintosh laptop, the printer can be seen, but its status is offline. And yet, when a job is sent from this computer, it prints. This is so weird.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Something on your Mint machine or network is blocking ICMP packets. How the Macintosh and phone behave is irrelevant.
--
Brian.
bumcheeks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bumcheeks »

Hundredth edit: So, restarting the router fixed the problem for my desktop, and i can now ping the printer from the laptop, but it still can't send print jobs. hrrmmm..

edit again: stopped working, can no longer ping from anywhere.

thousandth edit: I'm going to start a new topic as this seems to be a networking issue rather than printer issue. I appreciate all your help so far.
bumcheeks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bumcheeks »

OK, brian_p, I have finally got my printer reconnected after sorting out what turned out to be a problem caused by a NordVPN update (in spite of it being disconnected), I had to whitelist a subnet, which I didn't understand at all but the good folks on Linux Mint IRC helped me to sort it out. So, I can print now, at least.

Back to the scanner issue now. I still get the same results for

airscan-discover
and

scanimage -L
but for

I get this output:

+ enp10s0 IPv4 EPSON ET-8500 Series                          Internet Printer     local
+     lo IPv4 Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix @ ****-System-Product-Name Internet Printer     local
=     lo IPv4 Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix @ ****-System-Product-Name Internet Printer     local
   hostname = [****-System-Product-Name.local]
   address = [127.0.0.1]
   port = [631]
   txt = ["printer-type=0x80B00E" "printer-state=5" "Color=T" "TLS=1.2" "UUID=082d5896-72a9-3f54-7a17-623af8c5adfb" "URF=DM3" "pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,application/postscript,image/jpeg,image/png,image/pwg-raster,image/urf" "product=(ESC/P Dot Matrix Printer)" "priority=0" "note=" "adminurl=https://****-System-Product-Name.local.:631/printers/Generic-ESC-P-Dot-Matrix" "ty=Generic ESC/P Dot Matrix Printer Foomatic/epson (recommended)" "rp=printers/Generic-ESC-P-Dot-Matrix" "qtotal=1" "txtvers=1"]
Failed to resolve service 'EPSON ET-8500 Series' of type '_ipp._tcp' in domain 'local': Timeout reached
Also

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
+ enp10s0 IPv4 EPSON ET-8500 Series                          _uscan._tcp          local
Failed to resolve service 'EPSON ET-8500 Series' of type '_uscan._tcp' in domain 'local': Timeout reached
If you have any further ideas I would love to know. Thank you again for all your help.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”