Scanning documents with large paper size

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Scanning documents with large paper size

Post by m-s-a »

Hello all,

I am trying to scan a document that is longer that US-Legal size using ADF (automatic document feeder). I used the "Simple Scan" software, with "Automatic" paper size selection (other than that, the largest option available is "Legal"), but the result was cut off at the "legal" size. I also tried Gimp, and I could not find a paper size setting there, but the result was the same.

Even in the xsane stand-alone application, the preview is limiting the scan result to what would be US-legal, and everything below is cut off.

I am not sure where this maximum paper size is set, and if there is a way to scan documents that are longer than that with any driver / application. What would be the easiest way to do this?

Thanks,
Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed May 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Scanning documents with large paper size

Post by manyroads »

Try using a digital camera on a tripod....
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by m-s-a »

Well, ok, that's an option and maybe even the right one...

So I should have asked "What is the easiest way to do this with LinuxMint?"

Thanks again...
freshminted
Level 4
Level 4

Post by freshminted »

Is the scanner hard-wired to only scan up to legal size?

When I have to scan things larger than the glass on my scanner, I do lots of scans and get Microsoft's Image Composite Editor to re-assemble them into one (on a windows machine). You could try using Hugin in linux to do it, but much as I hate to say it, M$'s ICE does a better job.
Complete World Domination within five years.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

VueScan will let you set a Custom size for the media - my flatbed only goes to 8.5" x 11.7", so that the maximum custom size. VueScan is commercial software, but a trial version is available. It support document feeders for scanners with the feature, but only in the paid-for versions. A .DEB is available on the Hamrick website. An unofficial flatpak is in Software Manager, but I have not idea how well-maintained it is.

I think VueScan is worth considering, especially if you do a lot of scanning. If you will be scanning film or slides, get the Professional edition. I think the prices are reasonable, although I think the monthly subscription is silly.

Now. Another option for you is to double-scan the page - one pass with scanning from the bottom to the top, and one pass scanning from top to bottom. Change the orientation of the scans so they both are oriented in the same direction, and stitch them together so they become one document. It is not difficult, but it can be a little tedious.

You can do this Hugin and GIMP. Here is a tutorial: https://daviesmediadesign.com/project/s ... o-methods/
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Because you are using an ADF, the option of using the scanner glass is obviously out of the question.
Ben's suggestion of feeding the document into ADF right side up, then doing another scan feeding it in upside down, should work.

It might have been a good idea though, to tell us what make and model scanner you are using. For example, I have several inkjet printers of various brands here. I rarely use an ADF, but sometimes if I have to scan 20 pages of something that will feed through the ADF, I'll carefully remove the staple(s) and make sure they slide ok, then whack them on top of the ADF and go do something else.

Each of my scanners with ADF function work slightly differently, but if we know what Make and Model yours is, there's a chance one of us will have something similar and 'might' be able to see 'where' the settings are, 'if' the settings are . .
I don't have simple access to my HP or Epson printers at the moment (haven't been used for too long) and the Brother printers are all A3 size, but the page setup should be somewhere 'findable' with any luck - if yours is a Brother.
If it is something else, I'm sure someone will have a look at theirs.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by m-s-a »

Hi all, thank you fir the suggestions.

The scanner / printer is a Samsung SCX-4729FW
I have no idea if the paper size limitation is coming from the scanner itself...
Ben's suggestion to do the second upside down scan and then stitch them together would work; but I was hoping to find some setting somewhere that would just let me scan the page in whatever size it is...

I'll also try the VueScan trial, just to figure out if it does work with that - if it does, at least we know it is possible and it is not the scanner itself

Thanks,
Mark
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Did you download the Linux drivers here:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... l/17157080

or mayba this link if the previous one doesn't show 'Linux' drivers.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... =true&sku=

That according to Samsung is a Linux driver for both Print and Scan functions.
You might need to set the thing up with a decent USB cable if you find it is not working over the WiFi.
ALSO, if it is still being a pain, try with a couple of different USB printer cables, because it is not unusual for one to have crappy data transfer.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by m-s-a »

Thanks rossdv8,
Did you download the Linux drivers here:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... l/17157080
Yes, that's the driver I am using.

I am not sure about the physical connection being the issue. My laptop and the scanner are both connected via ethernet cable and a switch/router (no WiFI involved). I have no problem with data transfer or quality, it's just that the page size is limited to no more than US-legal.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Is there a menu in the Printer itself where you can set defaults? There 'might' be somethign in there telling the computer that the 'Default' is Legal.
The other thing though. Did you install CUPS?
Cups 'should' allow you to choose certain settings, although for that, it is generally for the Print function rather than the Scan function.

The last suggestion I can come up with is something most people seem to forget. You could try Samsung Support. They will have contact details either on your paperwork, or on that website with the drivers. An email to Support will usually score a reply and possibly a solution. The fact that they have Linux drivers, suggests that these days, unlike the situation a few years ago, someone there knows what Linux is, and you might very well finish up with an answer.
If you can't find email support, and you have the patience to spend some time on hold while you are directed to the 'weird questions' department, they might find an address you can email a question to.
It might not solve the problem immediately - but you might get a solution.
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by m-s-a »

Thanks rossdv8,

I do have CUPS installed, but was not able to find anything scan related.
Going through the printer setup options, there is a paper size setting in the "Copy" section, but I assume this only applies to direct copy operations, not scans - the maximum paper size is "Letter", and scans already go beyond that (just not far enough for what I need).

I did not think of Samsung/HP support, will try that as well.
So I guess it sounds like there isn't a (semi-)well known setting or feature somewhere in Linux(Mint) that fixes my problem...

Thanks,
Mark

Return to “Printers & Scanners”