CUPS does not accept username and password - cannot add printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnwgpaton
Level 1
Level 1

CUPS does not accept username and password - cannot add printer

Post by johnwgpaton »

I am running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon. I have the latest version of HP-LIP installed.

I have been using HP printers and HP-LIP to manage them for more than 10 years and have never had problems adding a printer. I am now trying to add a printer to my system but HP-LIP asked for a 'username' and 'password'. I tried my own login details but had no luck. I tried my 'superuser' login details but no luck. Much against all good sense I logged into the system as the superuser and still had no luck.

I think that the problem lies with CUPS. When I tried adding the printer in CUPS I had all of the same problems and the username/password prompt I saw in HP-LIP is clearly coming from CUPS. Everything I have been able to find on the net says that either my own login details or the 'root' login details are what is required but as I said these do not work.

Can anyone help me out here please?

BTW - the printer I am trying to 'add' to the system was running on the system quite happily, and has been for many years, until I deleted it on Saturday.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: CUPS does not accept username and password - cannot add printer

Post by MikeNovember »

johnwgpaton wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:44 am I am running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon. I have the latest version of HP-LIP installed.

I have been using HP printers and HP-LIP to manage them for more than 10 years and have never had problems adding a printer. I am now trying to add a printer to my system but HP-LIP asked for a 'username' and 'password'. I tried my own login details but had no luck. I tried my 'superuser' login details but no luck. Much against all good sense I logged into the system as the superuser and still had no luck.

I think that the problem lies with CUPS. When I tried adding the printer in CUPS I had all of the same problems and the username/password prompt I saw in HP-LIP is clearly coming from CUPS. Everything I have been able to find on the net says that either my own login details or the 'root' login details are what is required but as I said these do not work.

Can anyone help me out here please?

BTW - the printer I am trying to 'add' to the system was running on the system quite happily, and has been for many years, until I deleted it on Saturday.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Hi,

See this tutorial viewtopic.php?f=42&t=391775, paragraph "4. Steps: / Preliminary checks".

Regards,

MN

Return to “Printers & Scanners”