Brother Printer not printing MFC-J470DW Linux Mint 21.1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darren
Level 1
Level 1

Brother Printer not printing MFC-J470DW Linux Mint 21.1

Post by Darren »

I have scanned the boards & can't find a solution.
I was able the scanner going using Brother brscan4-0.4.11-1.amd64.deb
but I am not able to get a print from the printer?
Output from lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: MFC-J470DW
device for MFC-J470DW: usb://Brother/MFC-J470DW?serial=BROK4F166940
MFC-J470DW accepting requests since Thu 09 Feb 2023 15:22:43
printer MFC-J470DW is idle. enabled since Thu 09 Feb 2023 15:22:43

Print jobs go to queue and show completed status, but no actual print.
Printer can print test / status page from menu on printer, so it is working?

I have deleted /added / added automatically & added manually.

Any help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Brother Printer not printing MFC-J470DW Linux Mint 21.1

Post by coffee412 »

How did you install the printer in the first place? Did you go to Brothers website and download/run the installer program?
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Darren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darren »

Thanks for Replying coffee412, I ended up getting it going, after a lot of 'trying stuff' but I don;t know why it works now.
I will describe what I done. ( On an MacBook Air)
To answer your question, yes I did go to Brother support site and download the driver. I basically tried everything. (NOTE, I was trying to get printing via USB cable only, as I don't have WIFI or a server or network where I live.
I downloaded;
linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
mfcj470dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
brscan4-0.4.11-1.amd64.deb

I couldn't get their installer (linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1) to work twice, but on the third go it eventually did work.
I did get the brscan4-0.4.11-1.amd64.deb working straight up, but couldn't print after following directions for mfcj470dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb, even though simple checks showed the printer present, but not available.
And I was able to get what looked ok with mfcj470dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb BUT no printing. Everything would just spool, then show printing complete, with no paper output. I went online searched several trouble shooting methods & tried them.
(Using lpstat -t) Please note, I am not a terminal user, just a rookie GUI user who hates Windows). Everything should have been OK but no.

Because I had only recently installed Mint 21.1 (from a sum checked ISO image USB), I remembered something about User Groups, so I went in there & checked 'a few boxes' that I have a vague memory of needing to modify in Mint 19 a few years back to get a OBDII interface working with the USB port.
Basically re-done the whole process again, and tried the linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1 again (3rd time) and it worked. Wow it was slow. I think it took longer to run than to in install Mint 21.1. After that all worked OK.

But wait there is more! On to PC Number 2 a Dell (Work PC) I changed the User Groups then I ran linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1 > this went OK though Super long & slow. Everything looks OK but no printer output, same queued output only. Printer showing available using lpstat -t. I deleted printer, started again, same result.
Plugged things in & out and re-booting and restarting at as many junctures as seemed logical but no prize.
The thing that seemed to get it working was, (After applying Groups including 'tty' and getting 'linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1' to run (yawn) then delete the printer, remove the USB cable, plug it in, then the system asked if I wanted to install the printer, the system seemed to pick everything up and hey presto, it worked.
So honestly, I don't know / what I did wrong, but it is working. So I make a Timeshift backup & hope I don't have to do this again for another few years.
Thanks for reading.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Im glad to hear you got it working. Normally all you need is the installer app. (linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1). Set it as executable, run it with root privileges:

Code: Select all

chmod +x linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
sudo linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
It should download any other packages needed and install them.

Normally, I have my Brother printer hooked up via the network card in it. So, You reach a point where it asks if you want to supply the path to the printer and I answer yes, Choose IP address and enter the IP address.

Its working and that is all that matters - Good Job!
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

Return to “Printers & Scanners”