CUPS fails to start or is not present

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
justjeff

CUPS fails to start or is not present

Post by justjeff »

Hello. I think I have a new problem - I don't see any thread related to this. Problem: there is no CUPS service. I just recently installed Linux Mint 8 (main) on a Compaq nx9010 laptop. When I try to run the printing configuration, trying to connect to the server gives me "httpConnectionEncrypt failed". I also cannot get to CUPS via http://localhost:631/. (or 127.0.0.1:631). I tried "sudo service cups restart" and got
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
Warning: Fake start-stop-daemon called, doing nothing.
I also checked /etc/hosts - it does show 127.0.0.1 as localhost (somebody on another forum had reported a problem with this having been renamed).

The last thing I'd mention is that I checked what packages were installed - several cups packages were installed. On a hunch, I also installed cupsys, then tried again the "restart" mentioned above. (Hope this wasn't a bad idea.)

I'm also wondering, more generally, if there is anything in Mint like the "services" configuration tool that exists in the Mandriva derived distros.

Very grateful for any answers, hints or wild guesses. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: CUPS fails to start or is not present

Post by Husse »

Have you got NoScript installed?
It has a new (I think) feature that block calls to localhost from what it believes is the internet
But Mint is an Ubuntu/Debian based distro so it is not
sudo service cups restart
but rather

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
Everything (almost? ) in init.d can be restarted this way and init.d is also the place where things that can be restarted are found :)
It was a while since I last run Mandriva* so I'm not familiar with the "services" configuration tool
*It's installed on my other desktop but the hard disk rumbles so much that it disturbs my next door neighbours
beefstu

Re: CUPS fails to start or is not present

Post by beefstu »

I had this before, I could not print or install a new printer unless I did

sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
beforehand.

What I actually did was assign Ctrl-Alt-P in keyboard shortcuts to

gksudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
as i had to do it each time before printing, inconvenient but it worked.

I assumed it was a bug in x64 Mint somewhere but after re-installing the laptop after bricking it, it works fine, even though I've done nothing different!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”