Forum rules
Before you post please read this
darrie
Level 1
Level 1

HP1018 HPLIP foo2zj and Mint Helena

Post by darrie »

Hi,

I had my HP Lasjet 1018 installed and working well on Mint 7. I have upgraded to Mint 8 and I cannot get the printer to work using either the foo2zj or the HPLIP 3.9.12 drivers. I have spent a lot of time on this and read around other people's experiences.

I really need the printer working and was quite happy with Mint 7 , but before I go back a version, I have one question - has anyone got a printer working using either of these approaches, especially the HPLIP one, as evidence of such seems thin on the ground.

Apologies if this is a vague question - I am not an especially technical person , I just wonder if I have wasted my time.

Thanks

RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HP1018 HPLIP foo2zj and Mint Helena

Post by RichardH »

Not a whole lot of help, just my experience with my HP1020 and Helena.

Installed Helena on both P4 desktop clone and Acer Aspire One. Works great on both.
Except, like you I have not been able to keep the printer installed on the desktop. Never tried on the AA1.

In Gloria and Debian I used the driver from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
with great success. In Helena, I have tried several times with little success. Also the drivers included in Gloria.
Best is to print the test page then hang when trying to print.

I now boot into Gloria Main on the desktop and it is working fine. Install printer via Cups_1.3.9 with no problem.
It seems that the problem is with the new 1.4.x cups since Gloria uses the 1.3.9 version.

I haven't tried finding the older cups version in Helena, perhaps that will help. More when/if I can find Cups-1.3.9 for Helena.

regards,
Richard.
Last edited by RichardH on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darrie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darrie »

thanks for the reply...

Half a page is further than I have got! This strikes me as such a potentially common situation I am surprised there is not more out there about it. On Mint Seven I used the hplip drivers and got on very well.

I have CUPS 1.4.1 I will try to install the previous version you refer to and see how I get on. If that is not a success I will go back to Mint 7 as frankly I need to be able to print more right now.

Regards and appreciated

Darren

spiffin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spiffin »

My HP OfficeJet G55 just doesn't work with Mint Helena, which is a real pain. The printer always worked with all the many other Linux distros I've tried but if I can't solve this then reluctantly I'll have to move elsewhere. What I need is simple direct instructions regarding the correct driver, not some hyper-complicated installation process ! Help, please !

RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RichardH »

Hope to have time this short weekend to try getting my HP1020 to print with Helena.
Until then, Gloria Main is my distro of choice, at least on the desktop.

Grub2 is not the problem I thought it would be, but printing is a prime necessity.

darrie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darrie »

thanks to you all

I decided to cut my losses and go back to Mint 7 and now I am printing again. I had a look on some Ubuntu sites and they seem to be having the same problem.

I will wait until the next edition of Mint and try upgrading then, or maybe follow my own advice and remember that if it aint broke I don't need to fix!

cheers again - Darren

spiffin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spiffin »

For my HP Officejet G55 printer, all I need to know, really, is how to install the 3.9.2 driver (which works) in place of the supplied 3.9.8 driver, which doesn't !

RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RichardH »

At this link HP offers the 3.9.12 driver:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Maybe it will help?
Good luck.

darrie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darrie »

I have tried that most recent driver... it made no difference I'm afraid.

Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Brian49 »

I tried hard for many months to get my HP1018 working with Helena, to no avail, and eventually gave up. But I haven't gone back to Gloria, partly because I need to print only occasionally and partly because Helena is better than Gloria at handling multimedia, at least on my computer.

spiffin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spiffin »

I now have a dual install of Gloria and Helena, so I can use Gloria for written work. It would solve the problem if Mint made the 3.9.2 driver available as an alternative in Helena, but you can't blame Mint for updating the driver package. The main fault seems to lie with HP who have updated their drivers to the point where they no longer work with the printers that many of us use. If this is intentional, to encourage me to buy a new printer, it's a mistake as there are many excellent alternatives, Epson and Cannon for example.

darrie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darrie »

do we know if it is the driver or the distro that is causing this problem...?

I don't really know - I have hplip 3.9.2 on Gloria now and it is working fine... it may be an idea to keep a copy of the 'older' drivers kicking around.

Most things about my changing from Windows to Mint have been positive - but this one issue has been the thorn in my side.

thanks to you all for your responses - when this printer goes kaput I will be looking out for who produces a cheap b and w laser printer with good linux support quite closely! Shame as the printer is great for the money

Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Brian49 »

As far as I was able to figure it out (with help from Husse), the contrast lies in the way device firmware files in general are loaded in Ubuntu Karmic as compared to Jaunty, which in turn is reflected in the way they are loaded in Mint Helena as compared to Gloria. In other words, it's not just a matter of having the correct and correctly installed drivers for a particular printer. This means, unfortunately, that the issue may not go away with a different printer; HP printers are often quoted as being more Linux-friendly than other brands.

spiffin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spiffin »

Brian... I think you've put your finger on it, because I just tried a Canon printer on Helena, and that didn't work either.
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's got any type of printer functioning on Helena !

Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Brian49 »

spiffin wrote:I now have a dual install of Gloria and Helena
Please point me to guidance on how to set that up. Many thanks.

darrie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darrie »

that is quite worrying - could mean me being trapped with Gloria until my printer dies... which would be OK really .. but it seems an odd dead end for Mint and Ubuntu to have driven up.

Indeed I will have to have a look for anyone that is printing happily with the latest Ubuntu and Mint but surely someone must have - there are just too many people using these OSs...

well that is what I think anyway, I just can't believe other people can't have had this problem, an HP printer and a laptop running mint is just not that 'out there '

and once again - thanks

spiffin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spiffin »

Brian49 wrote:
spiffin wrote:I now have a dual install of Gloria and Helena
Please point me to guidance on how to set that up. Many thanks.
Brian...the dual install is very easy. Assuming you have burned CDs for both versions and have already installed one of them, when you install the other version in the same way and you are at the partitioning stage, the option comes up asking whether you want to install the new version side-by side with the one that's already installed. So you select this option and carry on as before..there's no problem, it works fine.

RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RichardH »

Just a bit of encouragement.

Installed sidux94xfce w/grub2 on another partition.
It installed a newer version of Cups than available from Helena repo.
So maybe there is hope that it will work with Helena later.
I no longer have Helena installed --only Gloria. Will try later. Next year?

And my HP1020 using the driver from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ works fine.
As it does with LM7Gloria.

That site's driver has been the most reliable for me, if a bit of a chore to install
--just have to read the cook-book instructions.

darrie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darrie »

well I hope so - but this will be putting me off upgrading for a long time!

thanks for the reply.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”