Recommend a printer to use with Daryna?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Recommend a printer to use with Daryna?

Post by joutlan »

I need a second printer to print photo's on and connect directly via USB to this Mint Notebook. My other printer is running off a wireless print server and is a canon pixma ip4000. As I can't seem to get this working with Linux, I'm going to leave it for the other 4 windows machines and get another inkjet to connect here (which I really needed anyway with kids using the other one LOL).

Can someone recommend a decent photo printer that works pretty much OTB with Mint?

thanks
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro

Wasda
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Recommend a printer to use with Daryna?

Post by Wasda »

I have an photosmart 2610 from HP and it works out of the box.
With this link you can check witch HP printer works with linux.
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_ ... index.html

cheers

mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mumbo719 »

Brother Printers are pretty well supported.

I use a Brother 2070N B&W laser with no issues.

Setting it up in CUPS was a breeze as well. It detected the correct print driver and installed with no problem.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford

joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

mumbo719 wrote:Brother Printers are pretty well supported.

I use a Brother 2070N B&W laser with no issues.

Setting it up in CUPS was a breeze as well. It detected the correct print driver and installed with no problem.
Thanks amigos....I've got a dead HP network all in one now with a bad paper feeder....anyone know how canon inkjets do? But I'm definitely going to look at the HP's again. I like Canon though, can't use a laser anymore.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64

joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

to follow up...I plugged my Canon Pixma into the Linux Box (this one), and will replace the Windows printer on the wireless print server which should make things easier. The canon seems to work fine with Mint...it'a an iP4000. thanks for the replies.

choupique
Level 1
Level 1

Post by choupique »

I just wanted to share my successful installation of an HP OfficeJet 5610 all-in-one with Daryna.
I set it up last night using HPlip/HP Toolbox, and Xsane. Printer works fine using both color and b/w in firefox, openoffice, etc. The Scanner works well using Xsane. Single page and multipage scans to PDF format made - no problem. Having a fax and copier are a bonus also.
If you don't already have one, remember to pick up a USB A/B cable, it doesn't come in the box.
As many of you, I have had good luck with HP printers in Linux.
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H|Intel i3 4330|Crucial 3x4g DDR3 1600|Intel Gigabit CT
Lian Li PC-V351|Corsair CX430M|Kingston 120g SSD|ASUS DVD-RW|Dell E2311H

Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

Any HP's... I usually buy the cheapo HP Deskjet of the moment, and refill the cartridges until it dies, and then buy another one...
Now I have a HP Deskjet D1360...
Works out of the box in Mint, Fedora, Debian... etc...

waynev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waynev »

choupique wrote:I just wanted to share my successful installation of an HP OfficeJet 5610 all-in-one with Daryna.
I set it up last night using HPlip/HP Toolbox, and Xsane. Printer works fine using both color and b/w in firefox, openoffice, etc. The Scanner works well using Xsane. Single page and multipage scans to PDF format made - no problem. Having a fax and copier are a bonus also.
If you don't already have one, remember to pick up a USB A/B cable, it doesn't come in the box.
As many of you, I have had good luck with HP printers in Linux.
Last edited by waynev on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I have to also say that my best experience has been while using HP devices in Linux. I know some other manufacturers are working on Linux support, but there is already solid software for most common HP printers. I have a 5610 All In One....I give it an A+ for features. It's speed may not be extreme, but for the $$$ it's a good all around office machine.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”