problems installing dcp-7030 brother scanner

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zenbo

problems installing dcp-7030 brother scanner

Post by zenbo »

hello

i have a dcp-7030 brother copier/scanner and a dell laptop, i need to scan documents, but i dont know how? do i have to connect them with usb, and then give commands with my laptop? do i need software or drivers?

i found these drivers:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... d_prn.html

thanks and greetings zenbo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: problems installing dcp-7030 brother scanner

Post by wallaroo »

Hi zenbo,

If you just want to copy documents to paper then no, you don't need to connect it to a computer, it will run as a stand-alone copier, just use the buttons on the front of the device.

If you want to use it as a printer and/or scan documents to digital files then yes, you will need to connect it to the PC via usb, install drivers and run scanning and printing applications.

Assuming that you asked the question here because you have Linux Mint on the DELL laptop ...

To set up the printer function:
- download the 'deb' version of the cups driver from here => http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... l#DCP-7030
- then install the driver as set out here => http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... prn1a.html

To set up the scanner function:
- download the 'deb' version of the 'brscan3' driver from here => http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ml#brscan3
- then install the driver as set out here => http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... scn1a.html
- and then add the entry for the scanner as shown here => http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... html#u9.10

You may need to install a scanner application (the app 'Simple Scan' may already be installed) but personally I've always found 'gscan2pdf' to be one of the best (and it scans to more than just PDF).
zenbo

Post by zenbo »

wallaroo wrote:
To set up the scanner function:
- download the 'deb' version of the 'brscan3' driver from here => http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ml#brscan3
- then install the driver as set out here => http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... scn1a.html
- and then add the entry for the scanner as shown here => http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... html#u9.10

You may need to install a scanner application (the app 'Simple Scan' may already be installed) but personally I've always found 'gscan2pdf' to be one of the best (and it scans to more than just PDF).
hey thanks alot, i downloaded the driver, now im stuck here:

4-1. Turn on your MFC/DCP and connect the USB cable.
4-2. Open the terminal and go to the directory where the driver is.
4-3. Install the scanner driver

Command (for dpkg) : dpkg -i --force-all (scanner-drivername)
Command (for rpm) : rpm -ihv --nodeps (scanner-drivername)
Example(for dpkg) | Example(for rpm)

4-4. Check if the driver is installed

Command (for dpkg) : dpkg -l | grep Brother
Command (for rpm) : rpm -qa | grep -e (scanner-drivername)
Example(for dpkg) | Example(for rpm)

i can connect with usb, i can open the terminal, but i dont know how to script the commands right.

greetings zenbo
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wallaroo »

hi zenbo,

It's probably easier to use the file manager and not the terminal.

Just go to the directory where the driver was downloaded and right-click on it and select 'Open with', then pick either 'Gdebi package installer' or 'Software Manager'.

To check that the install was successful, open a terminal and just type the following command (or just copy and paste the command from here) ....

Code: Select all

dpkg -l|grep Brother
then press the [Enter] key.

.. it should show the 'brscan3' and release number as being in the list.

Then to do the final step (add an entry for the scanner). in the terminal type the following command ..

gksu gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
and press [Enter], this will open the required file in the editor with the necessary permissions.
Scroll down the file until you get to the line that says ..

# The following rule will disable USB autosuspend for the device
Insert the following two lines just before the above line.

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
..save the file and reboot the PC with the scanner connected and turned on, if all went well, open one of the scanner programs and try a test scan.
zenbo

Post by zenbo »

mmh i can only find archive/manager or mounter....or open with other application, but also there i cant find what you sayd....

is that the right file?
Last edited by zenbo on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The easiest way is to download the DEB files of your printer's lpr and cupswrapper. Then just double-click those files to install them, first the lpr one and then cupswrapper. After that you can press Alt-F2, type system-config-printer and press Enter to get to the printer configuration: you can add your Brother printer there with the Add button if the printer hasn't yet appeared. Please confirm printing is working by then.

After you've got printing working, you can install the DEB version of the Brother scanner driver. Again, just double-click the DEB file and you'll see the installer (gdebi).

RPM is for other distros like Fedora and Suse. Here at Mint we use DEB.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zenbo

Post by zenbo »

AlbertP wrote:The easiest way is to download the DEB files of your printer's lpr and cupswrapper. Then just double-click those files to install them, first the lpr one and then cupswrapper. After that you can press Alt-F2, type system-config-printer and press Enter to get to the printer configuration: you can add your Brother printer there with the Add button if the printer hasn't yet appeared. Please confirm printing is working by then.

After you've got printing working, you can install the DEB version of the Brother scanner driver. Again, just double-click the DEB file and you'll see the installer (gdebi).

thanks , can you please explain a bit slower, im moved here from the newb section.

greetings zenbo
Last edited by zenbo on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenbo

Post by zenbo »

wait, i think i can do it..
zenbo

Post by zenbo »

AlbertP wrote:The easiest way is to download the DEB files of your printer's lpr and cupswrapper. Then just double-click those files to install them, first the lpr one and then cupswrapper. After that you can press Alt-F2, type system-config-printer and press Enter to get to the printer configuration: you can add your Brother printer there with the Add button if the printer hasn't yet appeared. Please confirm printing is working by then.

ok, installed :"Brother DCP-7030 LPR driver", now im stuck here:"After that you can press Alt-F2, type system-config-printer and press Enter to get to the printer configuration: you can add your Brother printer there with the Add button if the printer hasn't yet appeared. Please confirm printing is working by then"

i know Alt+F2, but dont know what to command...

thanks for your help!!!.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You installed both LPR and Cupswrapper DEB for your printer from Brother's website? You need them both to print.

When you are sure that both packages are installed,
you can type this command in the Alt-F2 box: system-config-printer
Then press Enter. It will open an easy program for adding printers. The Add button is at the top. But perhaps the printer is already added.
If you're sure that printing is working (for example, by printing a test page), you can go on installing the DEB file of brscan3.

The scanning program is in the menu. If it won't immediately work (for example "no scanner detected") then please reboot.
zenbo

Post by zenbo »

mmh,im a bit insecure, when it searched for driver only 7025 showed up, why? it wont print, although printer says it receives data:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Perhaps you can change to another Brother model with the change button next to make & model?
zenbo

Post by zenbo »

i think i have a mess with some other drivers i installed. can i deinstall everything and start again? i couldnt even find 7030 driver, when trying to install it it had complication with an old 7040 i tryed once....
erwanadam

Post by erwanadam »

Hi,

I just installed linux-mint 18 and I get trouble in getting my DCP-7030 scanner to work. The printer works fine though, and everything was OK with ubuntu.

Here's what I get when I ask "dpkg -l | grep Brother" :

ii  brdcp7030lpr:i386                            2.0.2-1                                    i386         Brother DCP-7030 LPR driver
ii  brscan-skey                                  0.2.4-1                                    amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan3                                      0.2.13-1                                   amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
ii  cupswrapperdcp7030:i386                      2.0.2-1                                    i386         Brother DCP7030 CUPS wrapper driver
ii  printer-driver-brlaser                       3-3build1                                  amd64        printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
ii  printer-driver-ptouch                        1.4-1                                      amd64        printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
thanks,

Erwan
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It looks like you installed the 32-bit version of some files on a 64-bit OS. Could you install brdcp7030lpr and cupswrapperdcp7030 again in 64-bit / amd64 version?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”