My connection keeps turning off during big downloads and I need to restart it to get it back

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jalmers
Level 1
Level 1

My connection keeps turning off during big downloads and I need to restart it to get it back

Post by jalmers »

I've noticed this mostly trying to download games on steam; after a couple gigabytes the internet connection just gradually stops working and I need to restart to get it back. I tried out a few commands I found on stackexchange but none of them ended up fixing the problem. I'm using wifi and it's an old mac mini I got on craigslist if that helps at all.
LanceM
Level 12
Level 12

Re: My connection keeps turning off during big downloads and I need to restart it to get it back

Post by LanceM »

I had this happen and it turned out to be a bad integrated module in a box on the exterior of my house. The module was a junction point in the DSL line and modem.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php