Having a hard time connecting to 5GHZ networks compared to 2.4GHZ ones on Arhcer T2U AC600

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
anasomar1
Level 1
Level 1

Having a hard time connecting to 5GHZ networks compared to 2.4GHZ ones on Arhcer T2U AC600

Post by anasomar1 »

My router has two networks (2.4 and 5), when I connect to the 2.4 one, it connects me within a second and everything works fine.
If I stay connected to that 2.4ghz network and then after a while connect to the 5ghz one it works fine and connects me immediately, but as soon as I suspend, restart, connect to a VPN or do anything that causes the wireless to disconnect/connect, I face issues with connecting to the 5ghz network and It keeps saying "connection failed, retrying", after a few retries it connects me to the 2.4 network until I get lucky and it manages to connect the 5ghz one when I try.

I am using the built it network manager in the newest Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit version. I used the same adapter on Windows 10 before switching to Linux and faced 0 issues with the internet, it's the only thing causing me problems with Linux and I really enjoy Mint way more than Windows and I'd love to have this issue solved.

Thank you.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Having a hard time connecting to 5GHZ networks compared to 2.4GHZ ones on Arhcer T2U AC600

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

Can you go to the following link and follow number 5.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

Does this happen if you are next/very close to the router also?
anasomar1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Having a hard time connecting to 5GHZ networks compared to 2.4GHZ ones on Arhcer T2U AC600

Post by anasomar1 »

Thank you, here's a portion of the output of inxi -Fxxxrz

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin 4.8.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Foxconn Unex DHXA-225 driver: N/A port: d000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  chip ID: 168c:0032 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Sony 
  driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: 9000 bus ID: 05:00.0 
  chip ID: 1969:1083 
  IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-3: TP-Link type: USB driver: rtl88XXau bus ID: 2-1.3:63 
  chip ID: 2357:011f serial: <filter> 
  IF: wlxd0374522ff03 state: up mac: <filter> 
I have Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit version,
My room is very close to the router, the signal strength is always above 70% for both networks

And this is the topic I followed viewtopic.php?t=307023 to install the drivers for the TP-LINK adapter and disable my built-in wireless driver a month ago.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

lsmod | grep ath
If you get ath5k, ath9k or ath10k, it will be worth your while going to the following page to follow the bit about atheros.
If you don't, it might still be worth going through the settings for the general problems anyway - but make sure you create a Timeshift snapshot just in case.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID4

Let us know what you tried, and what worked or didn't.
anasomar1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anasomar1 »

lsmod | grep ath

Didn't return anything.
I also followed all the steps under "2. Bad wireless connection" in the link you shared and none of them solved the issue, I even tried removing the driver and installing different drivers but none of them worked, so I reinstalled it again and I can still connect to 2.4ghz network in a second but face a lot of issues with 5ghz one.
When I try to connect to the 5ghz network I sometimes get asked to enter my password again, I even noticed that when I go to the history of the network manager and try to connect to the 5ghz one all of them start loading at the same time, I tried deleting them from the history and connecting to the network but I still had connectivity issues
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Can you see if you can connect in Live Mint?