[SOLVED] Protonvpn new version fails to connect and trashes the network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

[SOLVED] Protonvpn new version fails to connect and trashes the network

Post by Menard »

Protonvpn made an update and so it is totally broken now ... :lol:
I am allways repeating to avoid updates but here the security is important :|
So now the issue is that when I want to connect it, it breaks my internet connection but answering that it doesn't find a good internet connexion :roll: :lol: it is fantastic no ? And then I must restore my root partition to get it back ... :x
Last edited by Menard on Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Protonvpn new version fails to connect and trashes the network

Post by Menard »

Code: Select all

Setting up ProtonVPN.

An unknown error has occured. Please ensure that you have internet connectivity.
If the issue persists, please contact support.
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

I'm having an issue with ExpressVPN when I disconnect .. loses internet connection, have to reboot.
Wonder if there is a connection.
OtG
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

I've had this too with protonvpn when it was able to do the job, but now it is worse because it even doesn't do the job. I used to restore my partition when it happened, but I discovered that I had only 2 or 3 "factice" connections in the Network-manager (NM) to disconnet one by one, it is easy, but after the reboot you may have to do it again to get internet
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

It is sad but if VPN can't work fully on Linux then I ll have to install Windows instead
--

Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

https://protonvpn.com/support/official-linux-vpn-mint/
claims that
The ProtonVPN Linux app officially supports Mint 20.
and gives a procedure to install the app.
Did you follow it ? And, if yes, report it to their team ?
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Menard wrote: Protonvpn made an update and so it is totally broken now
Continues to work without incident for me. :? Version 0.7.3.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Protonvpn made an update and so it is totally broken now
OK...So PROTON made an update or upgrade here.
It is sad but if VPN can't work fully on Linux then I ll have to install Windows instead
Has it occured to you that if PROTON made an update/upgrade that this is not the fault of any Linux distro that it is now "totally broken" ??????????
You really need to contact Proton to inform them that it was fine UNTIL THEIR UPDATE/UPGRADE...It is their VPN so they have the problem, not Linux Mint.

follow their instructions to the letter when they help you correct your VPN configuration...DAMIEN
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:59 am
Protonvpn made an update and so it is totally broken now
OK...So PROTON made an update or upgrade here.
Has it occured to you that if PROTON made an update/upgrade that this is not the fault of any Linux distro that it is now "totally broken" ??????????
You really need to contact Proton to inform them that it was fine UNTIL THEIR UPDATE/UPGRADE...It is their VPN so they have the problem, not Linux Mint.

follow their instructions to the letter when they help you correct your VPN configuration...DAMIEN
I understand, you are not toally wrong but mind this : If it is too difficult for VPN Companies to developpe a specific application with killswitch for Linux as they display some for Windows, and the rare ones who do this seem to be not able to have it to work ... at a moment it is to rely to Linux more than to these companies
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:49 am
Menard wrote: Protonvpn made an update and so it is totally broken now
Continues to work without incident for me. :? Version 0.7.3.

dpkg -s protonvpn-cli
Package: protonvpn-cli
Priority: optional
Section: net
Installed-Size: 109
Maintainer: Proton Technologies AG <opensource@proton.me>
Architecture: all
Version: 3.6.0-4
Depends: python3-dialog, python3:any (>= 3.5~), python3-protonvpn-nm-lib (>= 3.2.0), python3-protonvpn-nm-lib (<= 3.3.0)
Description: ProtonVPN CLI (Python 3)
 Package installs official ProtonVPN CLI.
Homepage: https://github.com/ProtonVPN
--

ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Is it possible to just use NetworkManager with ProtonVPN? I use (occassionally) Private Tunnel, but have never installed any extra software.

EDIT: I guess there is - https://protonvpn.com/support/linux-openvpn/. Even though Proton insists that their client is better, at least this way you could get back on-line.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Setting up ProtonVPN.

An unknown error has occured. Please ensure that you have internet connectivity.
If the issue persists, please contact support
All i can say to you Menard is what the message above is telling you...Contact Protonvpn support as i mentioned to you on a previous post as well as Proton itself telling you this in this message...DAMIEN
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Menard wrote: Package: protonvpn-cli
Ah, that's the CLI client. I'm using the GUI client.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

JoeFootball wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:21 pm
Menard wrote: Package: protonvpn-cli
Ah, that's the CLI client. I'm using the GUI client.
I first had this issue with the GUI
it is perhaps because I had to hard shutdown the OS when the VPN was on, but I don't remember exactly how and what, and since then I restored my root partition, but not my home partition, maybe a line here
--

Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

it is perhaps because I had to hard shutdown the OS when the VPN was on, but I don't remember exactly how and what, and since then I restored my root partition, but not my home partition, maybe a line here
If it is too difficult for VPN Companies to developpe a specific application with killswitch for Linux as they display some for Windows, and the rare ones who do this seem to be not able to have it to work ... at a moment it is to rely to Linux more than to these companies
I used to restore my partition when it happened, but I discovered that I had only 2 or 3 "factice" connections in the Network-manager (NM) to disconnet one by one, it is easy, but after the reboot you may have to do it again to get internet
Protonvpn made an update and so it is totally broken now ... :lol:
I am allways repeating to avoid updates but here the security is important :|
So now the issue is that when I want to connect it, it breaks my internet connection but answering that it doesn't find a good internet connexion :roll: :lol: it is fantastic no ? And then I must restore my root partition to get it back ...
Question : if you know everything about the issue (it comes from Mint or ProtonVPN even if you seem to be the only one to have this issue) and what to do (restoring partitions while howling at these teams), why the hell using this forum asking for suggestions you never follow because you know better ?
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Aztaroth wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:33 am

Question : if you know everything about the issue (it comes from Mint or ProtonVPN even if you seem to be the only one to have this issue) and what to do (restoring partitions while howling at these teams), why the hell using this forum asking for suggestions you never follow because you know better ?
I don't understand this attack, the best to do with attacks is not to answer

Somone positive as the Protonvpn team gave me the way to fix it, I had to uninstall and install the application by a special way, so it works but it is another release so I don't really know where it came from
--

Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Protonvpn new version fails to connect and trashes the network

Post by Aztaroth »

Somone positive as the Protonvpn team gave me the way to fix it
If you read the previous posts, Damien1307 (twice) and myself advised you to contact ProtonVPN team before charging Linux, Mint or Proton just because you were not able to perform a correct install.
Perhaps this means nothing to you, but all the participants here took some of their time to share a piece of knowledge or advise whatever worthy it was. This commands respect for all of them even if you're obviously free to follow these advises or not.

You should probably read on the Debian Wiki about etiquette in questionning :
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-que ... tml#before
and especially this section :
Q: My program doesn't work. I think system facility X is broken.
A: While it is possible that you are the first person to notice an obvious deficiency in system calls and libraries heavily used by hundreds or thousands of people, it is rather more likely that you are utterly clueless. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence; when you make a claim like this one, you must back it up with clear and exhaustive documentation of the failure case.
This will close discussion for me. Other readers if interested may judge by themselves : the title of the thread and initial post say it all.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Aztaroth wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:59 am
Somone positive as the Protonvpn team gave me the way to fix it
If you read the previous posts, Damien1307 (twice) and myself advised you to contact ProtonVPN team before charging Linux, Mint or Proton just because you were not able to perform a correct install.
Perhaps this means nothing to you, but all the participants here took some of their time to share a piece of knowledge or advise whatever worthy it was. This commands respect for all of them even if you're obviously free to follow these advises or not.

You should probably read on the Debian Wiki about etiquette in questionning :
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-que ... tml#before
and especially this section :
Q: My program doesn't work. I think system facility X is broken.
A: While it is possible that you are the first person to notice an obvious deficiency in system calls and libraries heavily used by hundreds or thousands of people, it is rather more likely that you are utterly clueless. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence; when you make a claim like this one, you must back it up with clear and exhaustive documentation of the failure case.
This will close discussion for me. Other readers if interested may judge by themselves : the title of the thread and initial post say it all.
Yes but for me I see this differently, from a vulgar point of view, that is : I don't want to spend my whole life to make a PC to work (it is the pre requisite) AND
- I never faced issues to use a VPN on Windows
- I faced numerous issues to use a VPN on Linux (even this one was totally causes by a bad release of this vpn)
That's why this title
--

JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Menard wrote: I faced numerous issues to use a VPN on Linux (even this one was totally causes by a bad release of this vpn)
I'm sorry that you've found this to be such a challenging experience. I've been using ProtonVPN on multiple deployments (Mint and otherwise) for the past 2-3 years, and I've not had any issues. :?
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

So now it is OK and it works fine :D
--

Return to “Networking”