[Solved] Mint 20 / Windows 10 mixed LAN - how to connect?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Mint 20 / Windows 10 mixed LAN - how to connect?

Post by FrankB616 »

I have one lone Windows 10 machine on my home LAN. All my other machines are running Mint 20.2 XFCE. I want to be able to transfer files across the network to and from the Windows 10 machine using a file browser.

On the Linux box, I have Samba installed (though I understand it is deprecated on Windows 10). On the Win10 box, I have printer and file sharing enabled. The Thunar Linux file browser sees the Windows 10 machine (which is old and had Windows 7 on it) at:

Browse Network | WIN7-PC

and also at

Browse Network | Windows Network | WORKGROUP | WIN7-PC

In both cases I get a Linux dialog that says "Password required for win7-pc" and then three text boxes as follows:

Code: Select all

Username    frank
Domain      WORKGROUP
Password
'frank' is my username, so that is correct.

I put in what I have recorded as the password for my account on the Windows 10 box (same password as on my Linux box), but the box closes, then reopens saying my login failed, and then I get to try again. I also tried a couple of other passwords, and even the PIN that I use now to log in to my account on the Win10 box. Nothing works.

From the other direction I get the same thing. Windows file browser sees my Linux box, sees all the printers on the network that are reachable from the Linux box, and shows a network icon labeled "Samba Share". When I try to open the Samba Share, I again get a Windows dialog box asking for a password. I gave it what I KNOW is the password on my Linux account, but again it fails.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank.
Last edited by FrankB616 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 20 / Windows 10 mixed LAN - how to connect?

Post by altair4 »

A HowTo on just this topic which might be of use: Windows 10 and Samba File Sharing

And Samba / SMB is not deprecated on Win10. What is true is that Microsoft after 21 years of warning people this was going to happen is trying desperately to kill off NetBIOS once and for all. Two different things.

EDIT:
I again get a Windows dialog box asking for a password. I gave it what I KNOW is the password on my Linux account, but again it fails.
You need to pass the samba password for that Linux account. If your Linux account name is say ... frank, you need to add frank to the samba password database:

sudo smbpasswd -a frank
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

altair4 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:18 am
A HowTo on just this topic which might be of use: Windows 10 and Samba File Sharing

And Samba / SMB is not deprecated on Win10. What is true is that Microsoft after 21 years of warning people this was going to happen is trying desperately to kill off NetBIOS once and for all. Two different things.

EDIT:
I again get a Windows dialog box asking for a password. I gave it what I KNOW is the password on my Linux account, but again it fails.
You need to pass the samba password for that Linux account. If your Linux account name is say ... frank, you need to add frank to the samba password database:

sudo smbpasswd -a frank
That worked! Thanks very much! The Win10 box can now see and access my Linux machine! :D

Actually, that makes eminent sense. Windows has to check the entered password against something before allowing the connection, so obviously it has to be able to determine what the password is.

Now, what about going the other way? How do I enter a network password to the Windows equivalent of the Samba password list so I can access the Windows machine from my Linux box?

If I need to start another thread, let me know. If so, I will mark this one solved, and start another. But if we can do it all here, then better still! ONe-stop shopping. :-)

Frank.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

How do I enter a network password to the Windows equivalent of the Samba password list so I can access the Windows machine from my Linux box?
There is no Windows equivalent to a samba password. Only Samba differentiates a local server user login password and a samba password for that user. Windows only has the one user and that user's password.

So you can either pass the Win10 local user's credentials if you have a local Windows user:

Username    altair
Domain      WORKGROUP
Password    xxxxx
Or the Microsoft account credentials that you used to initially install Win10:

Username    blzebub
Domain      hades.com
Password    yyyyy
Not much you can do with a Win10 PIN.

For the record: Windows' inability to have a network password that differs from the local login password is insane so what I do is create a local user in Win10 / 11 smbuser and give it an easy to remember password smbuserpw. I make sure the shared folder allows smbuser access then use that username / password to gain access.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

Thank you very much. I will try that this weekend sometime. Got stuff at home the wife wants fixed first. :-)

Frank.