SAMBA Issues again

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
firestomper41
Level 1
Level 1

SAMBA Issues again

Post by firestomper41 »

Hi all,

So i recently installed fresh copy of mint 20.2 on a pc and have it connected to network (wireless), then want to use it as file server/media server. So installed samba, right clicked folders that wanted shared in nemo and shared, but alas the machine can be seen on the network, but when you try open, just get the famous unable to mount location, failed to retrieve share list from server:connection timeout!

Now this is trying to connect from another mint pc (also on 20.2) that have on the network! Can anyone tell me why in 2020 file sharing even amoung 2 linux pc's this is still an issue!! :twisted: Also what convoluted configurations do i need to change on the pc for it be be accessible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
donten
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SAMBA Issues again

Post by donten »

So i recently installed fresh copy of mint 20.2 on a pc and have it connected to network (wireless), then want to use it as file server/media server. So installed samba, right clicked folders that wanted shared in nemo and shared, but alas the machine can be seen on the network, but when you try open, just get the famous unable to mount location, failed to retrieve share list from server:connection timeout!
Did you reboot after you set the shared folders?

Take a look here: Samba shares not working from SSD in De ... er/folder) and here:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=322404
firestomper41
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firestomper41 »

This is what am getting at. Why should we have to resort to fiddling in the samba .conf file for hours on end! When will this bug be fixed??
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Not sure it requires hours of configuring smb.conf. In fact you don't have to edit smb.conf at all. You just need to access the server and it's share directly.

Anyhoo, to answer your more philosophical question: When will this bug be fixed??

THe "bug" in this case is for one Linux machine to access another Linux machine using samba without SMB1 - graphically. The "bug" will get fixed when the Gnome developers hire a samba subject matter expert because the problem isn't samba it's Gnome.

To illustrate I boot up Mint20 Cinnamon and share my public folder using nemo. The share definition looks like this:
tester@vmint201cinn:~$ net usershare info --long
[Public]
path=/home/tester/Public
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=y

I didn't do anything with smb.conf on this system. It is running with defaults.

Next I boot into Kubuntu20, Open the File manager > Network > Shared Folders ( SMB) and:
KDE-Samba-Access1.png
KDE-Samba-Access1.png (19.15 KiB) Viewed 968 times
When my server is selected I can see the share and can access it:
KDE-Samba-Access2.png
KDE-Samba-Access2.png (20.54 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Mind you it wasn't always like this with KDE and software development being what it is it may all go to hell with the next update but at the moment it looks like KDE spent some time with this and Gnome did not.

I should also note that MacOS has no issues access this share graphically either.
Last edited by altair4 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
firestomper41
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firestomper41 »

Ok many thanks for that, and funny enough i stumbled upon the command via nemo as when tried to share folder came up with some error and saying about the net usershare commnad, so went to command line and tried entering manually and playing around, and it worked. I can access the folder in windows by typing in ip address and then i see the folders. But now this is all great and all, cause under windows you can just right click and pin the server. But sadly cant do that in linux with nemo :cry: cause i ain't gonna remember what the ip address is of that machine in 2 weeks or a month from now when i do want to access a file on there :cry:

also it is about making the machine universally accessible to all devices on the network (phones, tablets, watches etc..) but without having to type in the ipaddress each time and just having the device discovered :roll:
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Linux, MacOS, and Windows 10/11 all use mDNS so you don't need to remember the ip address. All you need to remember is the host name of the machine, attach a .local at the end of it and access it that way.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
firestomper41
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firestomper41 »

ok so now that have share, cant seem to figure out command to make folder writeable with net usershare :roll:
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It is not at all clear to me why you are making this way more difficult by using net usershare.

This will reproduce what Nemo does all by itself:

Code: Select all

net usershare add %n %f "" Everyone:F guest_ok=y && chmod 777 %f
Where:

%n == name of the share
%f == file path
firestomper41
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firestomper41 »

net usershare add : cannot convert name "Everyone" to a SID. An invalid combination of parameters was specified
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

Return to “Networking”