Unable to Update Software, Internet Connection Functioning

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ActingPrimeMinister
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to Update Software, Internet Connection Functioning

Post by ActingPrimeMinister »

Hello,

I'm a first time user of Linux Mint (or of any Linux OS.)

I installed the OS fresh this morning, (64 bit xfce) and now am unable to use the internet to update any software or to change my Software Sources. I've been searching around for about an hour and trying out various solutions to no avail.

I am connected to my wifi, simply unable to use it. I was able to use the wifi in Windows 10 just before installing Linux Mint.

Any suggestions? I've been using the terminal as suggested in other posts surrounding this issue, but none of their solutions have worked for me.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to Update Software, Internet Connection Functioning

Post by shedyed »

To ensure that your wifi is working, ping any website that you know of, e.g. ebay.com or google.com

type the command ping -c 6 cnn.com. Did you have to boot into Windows, or were you able to post on this forum using a friend's computer? Under normal circumstances, you ought to get a reply from the website; 6 replies, in fact. You can try pinging the TV network cbs.com if you prefer.

We encourage you to read up on How to ask for help in the top section of the forum.
ActingPrimeMinister
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, I'm not sure why, but everything seems to be working now. Pinging earlier didn't work, but now I'm able to do everything.

The last thing I changed was using the terminal to force ipv4, but it didn't seem to have any effect until I tried just now.

For reference:
karlchen wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:03 pm Hello, Diraxion.

Reading these error messages in your initial post,

Code: Select all

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/InRelease  Connection failed [IP: 2001:67c:1360:8001::23 80]
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic-updates/InRelease  Connection failed [IP: 2001:67c:1562::18 80]
W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic-security/InRelease  Connection failed [IP: 2001:67c:1562::18 80]
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/InRelease  Connection failed [IP: 2001:67c:1360:8c01::16 80]
they are all about IPv6 IP addresses.
Maybe you should try forcing Update Manager and the whole APT software management system to use IPv4 only.

How this can be done, has been explained e.g. in this post: Re: Could not download all repository indexes?
Pulling in the relevant instruction from that post:
karlchen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:43 am You may achieve so by following these steps:
  • Close Update Manager, Software Manager, Synaptic, in case they are running.
  • open a terminal window
  • execute cd /etc/apt/apt.conf.d (switch to the right directory)
  • create the file 99force-ipv4 with root privileges:
    sudoedit 99force-ipv4 (invokes editor nano with root privileges. Will ask for your password before starting.)
  • Insert the following line into the empty file: Acquire::ForceIPv4 "true"; (precisely as typed here, preserve capitalization)
  • Press <Ctrl>X to quit the editor.
    When asked whether you want to save the changes, press y for yes, you want to do so.
  • execute sudo apt-get update again.
  • if the plan works out, then no more complaints about archive.ubuntu.com, security.ubuntu.com and archive.canonical.com should appear.
  • Please, report back.
HTH,
Karl
ActingPrimeMinister
Level 1
Level 1

I will say that everything does seem to be downloading remarkably slow (I use Google fiber as my provider and speed has never been an issue.)

Return to “Networking”