[Solved] Yet another DNS problem

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hkindle
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Yet another DNS problem

Post by hkindle »

I have been researching DNS problems for a few hours and decided to stop thrasing and see if a knowlegable sole can and will help me with my problem.

My DNS stopped working, and I don't know why. I had it configured with quad nine DNS addresses locally, because I seem to remember having problems trying to set up my router as the DNS server in the past.
As part of my thrashing I have changed many things, but I think I have it back at default settings. It is a wired connection, eno1, and it gets a DHCP address from the router and I can see the local network just fine.
I get "can't be reached" type errors when I try to load external web pages with firefox and vivaldi.
Using the default DNS settings, with my router address 192.168.1.1 and using locally defined quad nine address 9.9.9.9 using Network Settings, both don't work.
My ASUS RT-AC3200 is configured as a DNS with quad nine addresses and is working fine with all the other devices on my network including 2 other Mint machines configured with my router as DNS from default.
Because this one comptuer is not working with the deault setup, I suspect some wierdness with this particular hardware.
Bellow is output from a "inxi -Fxxxrz && rfkill list && iwconfig && mokutil --sb-state" command. I found this command in some other DNS posts and I hope it will be usefull.

Code: Select all

Removed for privacy reasons

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Yet another DNS problem

Post by t42 »

hkindle wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:30 am I have changed many things, but I think I have it back
among those many things did you have ProtonVPN installed and removed...
you still have it in the software sources..
you have ipv6leakintrf0...

run nmcli device
kill spurious connection if any especially something like

Code: Select all

sudo nmcli connection delete pvpn-killswitch
sudo nmcli connection delete pvpn-ipv6leak-protection
reboot
-=t42=-
hkindle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Yet another DNS problem

Post by hkindle »

Thank you, that was the problem. I assumed my problem stemed from the DNS troubles I had when I originally setup this computer pre-vpn, so I didn't consider VPN issues. Especially since it persisted through reboots.

Now I know what to look for.

Thanks again, very much.

Return to “Networking”