Upgrade to full fibre connection failures (SOLVED)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrade to full fibre connection failures (SOLVED)

Post by Aughey »

I just changed from standard copper connection to full fibre. Now when I try to connect my laptop I always get an initial message, "Activation of network connection failed", and it takes a lot of faffing about to get it to actually connect.

I got this output using iwconfig don't know if it helps:

lo no wireless extensions.

enp3s0 no wireless extensions.

wlp2s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"ALHN-AFBA"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457 GHz Access Point: AC:8F:A9:BC:D6:4A
Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=56/70 Signal level=-54 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:955 Missed beacon:0

It does work eventually but as I regularly need to connect remotely to this laptop this is not a good scenario.

Any help to restore immediate connection would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Upgrade to full fibre connection failures

Post by Aughey »

I have a dual booting system with Windows 10. It connects without any problem. I photoed its network settings and turned on my LM21 bluetooth to transfer the photo. Mysteriously the LM21 internet suddenly started working at the same moment. Now I have a copy of the Windows settings can I use them to rectify LM21 connection and if so how??
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aughey »

This is really weird. The wifi only seems to work when I switch on my phone and attempt to transfer a bluetooth file to my laptop
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Upgrade to full fibre connection failures (SOLVED)

Post by Aughey »

I manually entered the physical mac address of the new router plus the IPv4 DNS servers numbers and saved it then restarted the system. Hey presto my laptop now connects immediately on boot-up. I can happily cancel the ticket I raised with my new internet provider.

PS I read that all copper connections are being done away with by 2025. As most providers contracts are for two years this is a good time to make the change
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aughey »

Well that was a false dawn its back to porridge and dodgy connections.Whatever type of internal wi-fi adapters Toshiba put in these laptops clearly do not work with linux. I know this because I since got hold of an Edup USB wifi dongle and it has properly solved this glitch. So unless or until I find a new driver or a replacement internal wi-fi adapter which does work with linux then the adapter will have to do the needful.

PS the errant internal wi-fi device which gave me these headaches is listed as: RTL8723AE

Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aughey »

On another part of this website I spotted instructions about how to update the driver for my errant internal wifi card:
All it involved was using the USB dongle to get online then typing the following into a terminal to update my driver for a working one:

sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source

I have closed down the computer several times to check and it connects first time every time now without having to insert the dongle. RESULT!

Return to “Networking”