Unable to connect to Network Hard Drive after Mint 20 install

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LateJunction
Level 4
Level 4

Unable to connect to Network Hard Drive after Mint 20 install

Post by LateJunction »

I;m in a bit of Catch-22 here: I did all the necessary back-ups before deleting/creating partitions as part of a clean Mint 20 install. The install has completed without any problem, but I am unable to connect to my network attached hard drive. That is where all my backed-up data is, so I can't do any work while I am unable to access that hard drive.

Warpinator is not the solution and, anyway, is doesn't see any of the other computers on my network.

The 19.3 method I relied on to access the disk, using "smb://<IP address>/<Windows share name>/, doesn't work - I get a message saying "software caused connection abort" (among other things).

Any advice?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to connect to Network Hard Drive after Mint 20 install

Post by altair4 »

If the server you are trying to connect to has SMB1 enabled there is no issue. Unless the server can only use SMB1 then the samba client has no way to follow through to use it and you will get something like Software caused connection abort error.
Samba and Mint20: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=322404
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
LateJunction
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LateJunction »

Being an elderly user of Linux rather than a support technician or developer, I'm afraid that this does not mean much to me. I have followed the suggestions in the linked article as best I can. None of them prevent the "Software forced abort" error. The "server" I am trying to access is an Iomega device running some form of embedded Linux, from at least 10 years ago. There is no access to this copy of Linux for somebody like me. So I cannot change or control it in any way.

All I want to do is simply connect to a device that I have been accessing though Linux mint from about version 14, up to today, without any real issue. I didn't see any warning in the welcome panels that this sort of connection will not work in Mint 20. Why is it so broken in Mint 20, for an end user like me?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

So you:

[1] Edited /etc/samba/smb.conf on your Mint system and added this line under workgroup = WORKGROUP

Code: Select all

client min protocol = NT1
[2] THen rebooted your box.
[3] Then entered smb://<IP address>/<Windows share name> in the location bar of your file manager.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Portisheadradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Portisheadradio »

I'm in the same boat. Cant connect to a WD live media box that worked fine under mint 18.3.
Dont understand all the mumbo jumbo stuff someone sent me in a link.
Did you ever get yours working?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Portisheadradio wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:19 am I'm in the same boat. Cant connect to a WD live media box that worked fine under mint 18.3.
Dont understand all the mumbo jumbo stuff someone sent me in a link.
Did you ever get yours working?
Please open a separate thread for your problem.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Portisheadradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Portisheadradio »

Hi. Thanks for noticing.

I did open a thread a day or so ago at
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=365886

Having a hard time understanding what changed from 18.3 cinamon.

Have a good day

Return to “Networking”