limited internet speed

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: limited internet speed

Post by Larry78723 »

Just out of curiosity, is the cable connecting your desktop Cat5 or below and the cable to the laptop Cat6 or above?
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
mike_r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mike_r »

senjoz wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:59 am Maybe some bandwidth limiter or QoS setting in the router limits wan speed for desktop computer.

Regards,
Jože
Jože: thank you for suggesting this. I was experiencing a similar (but probably worse) problem - couldn't watch videos for more than 3 seconds streaming and navigating web sites was dodgy at best. I prioritised my desk top in QoS, which resulted in the router rebooting, and voila, everything is good. I'm not sure if it was the router reboot or using QoS, but one of those things fixed my problem. Strangely, throughout the whole affair, Speedtest.net kept reporting 16.5 Mb/s download speeds.
1mint80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1mint80 »

Apologies for leaving this thread for such a long time.
Still haven't found a solution but I'm switching providers, who knows that might help. I'll keep you posted.
1mint80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1mint80 »

Switched providers, so new modem/installation. Everything works fine now!
Still don't know what the problem was. If I connected a laptop with a cable to the modem, the speed was ok. If I plugged the same cable in my desktop, I had limited speed. With this new provider, internet on my desktop is hellafast. Nothing else changed. The problem was not my desktop, nor modem or cable, but the combination of desktop on modem. If somebody knows how this could be possible, please enlighten me.
Settings on modem were not adjusted by me.
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

I'd guess your Realtek NIC gets along better with your new equipment than with your old. Realtek hardware has a bad reputation for being flaky on Linux. The Realtek in the laptop I'm typing this on refuses to link at 1Gig speeds to anything I've tried since I installed Mint as the primary OS instead of a VM a couple of months ago. 100M is the best it can do. Rather than fight junk hardware, I bought a USB ethernet dongle that plays nice with Linux, and everything is fine.

Given how severe your issues were, I suspect your Realtek NIC and the ethernet in the modem/router did not autonegotiate properly. When autonegotiation of speed and duplex doesn't work, you get dropped and garbled packets and all sorts of other ugliness.

In my professional career, I've certainly seen hardware that simply didn't "play nice together." Sometimes even the same brand (*cough* Cisc *cough*) but different chipsets. One vendor's interpretation of the standard is just different enough from the other's that the two don't work right together.

m00tpoint
1mint80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1mint80 »

Thank you for your reply m00tpoint. Makes a lot of sense.

Return to “Networking”