Wired connection much slower than wireless connection, only on Linux (Solved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Wired connection much slower than wireless connection (only on Linux)

Post by motoryzen »

t3chn0k wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:54 pm
ricardogroetaers wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:46 pm
t3chn0k wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:49 am No luck yet.
Note Larry78723's suggestion.
Look at the figure:
Thanks for answering. I tried Larry's suggestion with no luck.
Even tried to reset all connection settings and then try his suggestion, but the results are the same: about 30 Mbps download/150+ Mbps upload speed.
Perhaps my suggestion would seem almost pointless, but just for the sake of checking off another " Ok I tried this "box, ensure that Windows pc is completely powered down and have only that Linux PC and only it's physical ethernet connection..connected to that router. Try the speed tests again. Hell..why not take it a step further and take the router out of the picture if you have a separate modem and router. Connect physically directly to the modem with only that Linux Pc

If the problem is solved this way, then that tells me rebuild one piece at a time the network and test each time. I'm wondering if something is hogging all of the bandwidth of the physical ethernet ports.

Otherwise, I am surely out of ideas versus what others have already covered.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Make sure Warpinator isn't open, it's a bandwidth hog.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

motoryzen wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:22 pm I'm wondering if something is hogging all of the bandwidth of the physical ethernet ports.
A good question.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Try creating a new wired connection and test that. I was having a similar problem and that's how I fixed it.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
t3chn0k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t3chn0k »

First of all, thanks for everyone who answered!
motoryzen wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:22 pm
t3chn0k wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:54 pm
ricardogroetaers wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:46 pm
Note Larry78723's suggestion.
Look at the figure:
Thanks for answering. I tried Larry's suggestion with no luck.
Even tried to reset all connection settings and then try his suggestion, but the results are the same: about 30 Mbps download/150+ Mbps upload speed.
Perhaps my suggestion would seem almost pointless, but just for the sake of checking off another " Ok I tried this "box, ensure that Windows pc is completely powered down and have only that Linux PC and only it's physical ethernet connection..connected to that router. Try the speed tests again. Hell..why not take it a step further and take the router out of the picture if you have a separate modem and router. Connect physically directly to the modem with only that Linux Pc

If the problem is solved this way, then that tells me rebuild one piece at a time the network and test each time. I'm wondering if something is hogging all of the bandwidth of the physical ethernet ports.

Otherwise, I am surely out of ideas versus what others have already covered.
It's the same PC, I'm just dual booting Windows/Linux.
ricardogroetaers wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:23 pm
motoryzen wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:22 pm I'm wondering if something is hogging all of the bandwidth of the physical ethernet ports.
A good question.
I have a very powerful Asus router with QoS and client's bandwidth control, which allows me to garantee that other clients aren't draining the bandwidht. It's really something to do with Linux, maybe a background software limiting the speed or just an ethernet driver issue.
Larry78723 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:26 pm Make sure Warpinator isn't open, it's a bandwidth hog.
I checked it and Warpinator was not open. Also, it's setted to do not automatically run on system startup.
Larry78723 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:34 am Try creating a new wired connection and test that. I was having a similar problem and that's how I fixed it.
Just tried it and it also didn't work. :(
At least, it gave me the idea to try tweaking the connection advanced settings and see what happens.

Once again, thanks for all those who tried to help.
llovepancakes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llovepancakes »

t3chn0k wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:19 pm
manage to figure this out?
t3chn0k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t3chn0k »

llovepancakes wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm
t3chn0k wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:19 pm
manage to figure this out?
Actually, I did! I was going to post the solution already.

The problem was in my network driver.

First, find your device name with the command:

Code: Select all

sudo lspci -v
Cable controllers will be named "Ethernet Controller", while wireless controllers will likely be named "Network Controller". For instance:

Then use the device name to search the manufacturer's website for the appropriate driver.

In my case, since the problem was in my Ethernet driver (cable connection), I accessed the Realtek website and found this:
https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software

Then I downloaded "GBE Ethernet LINUX driver r8168 for kernel up to 5.6" (v. 8.049.02).

This driver already came with a very well-documented readme file. All I had to do was running the shell script:

Code: Select all

sudo ./autorun.sh
Anyway, if you find any trouble to deal with driver installation, there's a lot of information on Google.

After this, I had to restart my computer... and voilà! Full download speed bandwidth on cable connection.

PS.: FYI, everytime I update my kernel, I have to reinstall this network driver.

Hope this helps others. #Solved
Last edited by t3chn0k on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject.

Return to “Networking”