Wake On Lan Is Not Waking

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Wake On Lan Is Not Waking

Post by m00tpoint »

I have an HP Z620 workstation I'd like to Wake on LAN only when I need to use it for my GNS3 network simulations. I have set WOL to enabled in the BIOS, and have disabled P5 deep sleep (don't remember exact verbiage on that one). When the machine is off, there is a very slowly blinking link light on enp1s0 (the ethernet interface that I have cabled), and the NIC on the attached machine indicates link in ethtool output, so to all appearances the NIC and the machine are configured properly. I've updated the BIOS to the latest available.

When I run the wakeonlan utility on the attached machine (another Linux host), tcpdump shows packets being sent to the z620. However, it's not waking up. Here are the ethtool output from the non-waking machine, and the tcpdump from the attached machine:

Code: Select all

dennis@apollo:~$ sudo ethtool enp1s0 
Settings for enp1s0:
	Supported ports: [ TP ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Full 
	Supported pause frame use: No
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Full 
	Advertised pause frame use: No
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: 1000Mb/s
	Duplex: Full
	Port: Twisted Pair
	PHYAD: 1
	Transceiver: internal
	Auto-negotiation: on
	MDI-X: off (auto)
	Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	Wake-on: g
	Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
			       drv probe link
	Link detected: yes

dennis@mercury:~$ sudo tcpdump -i eno1 
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eno1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
01:45:52.378761 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from ec:8e:b5:79:02:27 (oui Unknown), length 363
^C
1 packet captured
1 packet received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
dennis@mercury:~$ 

Any help appreciated!

m00tpoint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wake On Lan Is Not Waking

Post by m00tpoint »

Found a couple of online images of the BIOS settings I set:

and

m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

I guess I managed to stump the world as well as myself. Still working on it, no resolution found yet.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Any local router between apollo and mercury? If no, i.e., if just a switch, immediately out of ideas again...
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

apollo and mercury are directly cabled, not even a switch in between. Yeah, I'm out of ideas too LOL. Thanks for the note.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Directly cabled even. Although these days NICs tend to auto-adapt to cable-type that used to require a so-called cross-over cable --- and I'd not in fact be massively surprised if that were still the case before the NIC is alive and self-configured to not care. Have a switch and a second cable to quickly try with?
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

Good thought, but didn't help I'm afraid.

I ordered a wifi-controlled power plug today. My backup plan is to completely shut down power to the box (after clean sudo shutdown now of course), and tell the BIOS to power on after power failure. So there's a backup plan in place in case this doesn't end up working, as seems fairly likely right now. :-p

m00t
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

OK. If among the reboot= possibilities as listed at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/a ... eters.html (Ctrl-F, "reboot=") you can find one that does not in fact work you could instruct a reboot and have the machine hang after doing any and all to in fact cleanly shutdown. If you only then cut power you wouldn't need to deal with e.g. fsck on restarting.

Still. Considering that machine supports WoL it should be possible to get things going more cleanly it seems.
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

I agree. One would surely think this ought to work, but I'm completely out of things to try. I can prove the packets hit the wire, and I can prove the receiving interface has link, and I can prove WOL is enabled on that NIC (ethtool) and in the BIOS. I sure don't know what else to try. Sigh.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

This post mentions things working only from a (very) cold boot: https://administrator.de/forum/gel%C3%B ... 03331.html

I.e, worked for poster aftef removing power, draining capacitors by keeping power button pressed for a bit and restoring power. FWIW.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Wondering what wakeonlan command you are using. Are you sending it to the MAC address of the requested machine, ie:
User@user~$wakeonlan 7C:2W:39:FG:V0:04? Just a thought. Saw a similar question recently, and they were trying something completely different. This one has always worked with the machines I have.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

powerwagon75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:29 pm Wondering what wakeonlan command you are using. Are you sending it to the MAC address of the requested machine, ie:
User@user~$wakeonlan 7C:2W:39:FG:V0:04? Just a thought. Saw a similar question recently, and they were trying something completely different. This one has always worked with the machines I have.
I'm using wakeonlan, with the mac address of the device I want to awaken.
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

rene wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm This post mentions things working only from a (very) cold boot: https://administrator.de/forum/gel%C3%B ... 03331.html

I.e, worked for poster aftef removing power, draining capacitors by keeping power button pressed for a bit and restoring power. FWIW.
And .... guess what? It worked! I just woke up the machine. I'll fiddle around with it some to see if it remembers how to wake up and all that, but color me pleasantly surprised! And my High School German actually came in handy looking at your link. :-)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

m00tpoint wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:56 am I'll fiddle around with it some to see if it remembers how to wake up and all that, but color me pleasantly surprised!
Nice. Something that gets stuck in the NIC's hardware then. The link suggested it needed the procedure every time, and also on Windows, so maybe you'd still need the power-plug as part of the solution (or a different NIC?). But interesting in any case :)
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

rene wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:19 am
m00tpoint wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:56 am I'll fiddle around with it some to see if it remembers how to wake up and all that, but color me pleasantly surprised!
Nice. Something that gets stuck in the NIC's hardware then. The link suggested it needed the procedure every time, and also on Windows, so maybe you'd still need the power-plug as part of the solution (or a different NIC?). But interesting in any case :)
Yes, it seems to need TLC ... and I've discovered the BIOS also doesn't react properly to the power plug shutting down and giving it power back. I think this thing has serious issues deciding what "power down" means.

I do think I'll try the other NIC and see if it acts any differently.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

m00tpoint wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:27 pm I do think I'll try the other NIC and see if it acts any differently.
Would expect it will...
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

rene wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 pm
m00tpoint wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:27 pm I do think I'll try the other NIC and see if it acts any differently.
Would expect it will...
I'm sorry to say it doesn't. This machine really needs to be better at identifying its own power states. The NIC's are both Intel, the only difference is that one is on the CPU die and one is on a different chip on the motherboard.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

That's unexpected to me at least. Things working from a very, very cold boot but not a normal one rules out most anything I can personally still think of but in a more general situation I would've advised to look at (the end of) the output of journalctl -b -1 too see if something suspicious was being executed just before shutdown --- some power/energy related thing such as "laptop mode" --- and/or have advised to try your NIC's other WoL possibilities:

sudo ethtool -s wol p enp1s0 
and same with u, m, b rather than p (g is magic packet). The expectation with p is that the system wakes up basically immediately again after shutting down (at least on a normal network; the direct-cable situation here could supposedly have that be different).

But now I'm spouting generics that are unlikely to be useful. Don't think I can say anything sensible otherwise any more. If again no success I'll withdraw...
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Oh, by the way, I only read your statement closely enough now but certainly neither NIC is on the CPU die. But do I take from that statement that both are built-in to the machine? If so, with "different NIC" I was sort of aiming for one on an add-in PCI / PCIe card.
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

rene wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:55 am Oh, by the way, I only read your statement closely enough now but certainly neither NIC is on the CPU die. But do I take from that statement that both are built-in to the machine? If so, with "different NIC" I was sort of aiming for one on an add-in PCI / PCIe card.
I've ordered a picie nic and a pcie wireless nic, we'll have to wait a bit to see if your theory works out. I hope so!

Return to “Networking”