Can't enable wireless anymore

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sinderel
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can't enable wireless anymore

Post by sinderel »

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately the problem is still there. Before I explain how this went, let me share that I also found out today that suddenly my Mint does also not recognize my integrated webcam anymore (which was working just fine all this time). Maybe this adds support to the hypothesis that it's not speaking well to the drivers?

Re the wifi, this is what I figured so far:
hglee wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 pm A Windows update could cripple your wifi, when its effect is that the Linux driver is unable to control the wifi chipset.
So I thought maybe it's worth going to Windows and install all the latest updates. There were many pending updates, since I don't use Windows very often. I installed them all, including some optional updates for drivers and firmware.
I rebooted and it had messed up the configuration in the BIOS for dual boot. I fixed that and disabled again Fast Boot and Secure Boot, so that's settled.

I then went to Linux Mint and still the same issue: no wifi, and it appears as softblocked with rfkill list. I unblocked it and rebooted, and it was blocked again after the reboot.
hglee wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 pm Confirm that Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled in your BIOS.
I can confirm this.
sleeper12 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:22 pm If you can remove & reinsert your wifi card, that might help as well.
I am a bit scared of doing that, to be honest. If we rule out every other possible solution I will have to, but I am not very confident in opening my laptop...
sleeper12 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 pm You can see recent updates in Update Manager, View, History of Updates.
I have done this but I am not sure how to provide you with this information in a way that it is not an overwhelmingly long list. Are there maybe any suspects I could look for?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

sinderel wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:45 pm
sleeper12 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 pm You can see recent updates in Update Manager, View, History of Updates.
I have done this but I am not sure how to provide you with this information in a way that it is not an overwhelmingly long list. Are there maybe any suspects I could look for?
Other than kernel updates, I'm not sure what might cause such a problem.
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by hglee »

sinderel wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:45 pm Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately the problem is still there.
sleeper12 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:22 pmIf you can remove & reinsert your wifi card, that might help as well.
I am a bit scared of doing that, to be honest. If we rule out every other possible solution I will have to, but I am not very confident in opening my laptop...

I don't believe you need to do that.

To do a hard power-cycle, for a cold reset of the wifi card, you don't need to go as far as to remove/reinsert the card. You only need to remove the power source (battery) and drain the residual electric charge as I described above. Try that if you feel comfortable with it, if you have the appropriate tools.

Doing a remove/reinsert is a cautious last resort for some folks, when the wifi card is more than just a little loose and thumping does nothing. Your wifi is working reliably under Windows, which indicates that the card is properly seated.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you've disabled Fast StartUp in Windows power options. That can effect wifi on the Linux side.

Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), then click CODE:SELECT ALL to copy-and-paste the following as one big block of text, then tap Enter...

Code: Select all

I=/usr/local/bin;sudo wget -q -nv -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info -P $I/;\
cd ~/Downloads;sudo chmod +x $I/wireless-info;wireless-info>/dev/null;(inxi -Fxxxrz;rfkill list)>>wireless-info.txt;\
(lspci -nnk;lsusb -tv;(lsmod;dmesg)|egrep -i "wl|firm|fail|unab";dkms status;cat /proc/cmdline)>>wireless-info.txt;\
(2>&1 iwconfig;mokutil --sb-state)>>wireless-info.txt;tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176'<wireless-info.txt|nc termbin.com 9999
There'll be a pause as system info is collected, and finally a termbin.com URL will appear in the Terminal. Post that URL here.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe
sinderel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sinderel »

sleeper12 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:01 pm Other than kernel updates, I'm not sure what might cause such a problem.
I have checked and it seems it's been a while since they latest kernel updates, so I guess that's not the reason then.
hglee wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:59 pm To do a hard power-cycle, for a cold reset of the wifi card, you don't need to go as far as to remove/reinsert the card. You only need to remove the power source (battery) and drain the residual electric charge as I described above. Try that if you feel comfortable with it, if you have the appropriate tools.
The problem with this is that it would break the factory seal, and I have had this laptop for less than a year so I think it would mess up the guarantee...
hglee wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:59 pm You haven't mentioned whether or not you've disabled Fast StartUp in Windows power options. That can effect wifi on the Linux side.
That's true, I had mixed it with Fast Boot. I went to Windows to check this and it was not enabled; I guess I changed this in the past for the dual boot.
hglee wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:59 pm There'll be a pause as system info is collected, and finally a termbin.com URL will appear in the Terminal. Post that URL here.
There you go: https://termbin.com/yxbn
Note: when I reboot, the wifi is always softblocked in rfkill. Here it doesn't show because I had manually unblocked it before running the command. I can do it again without softblocking it, if that changes anything for the diagnostic.

Thanks a lot for looking into this!
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by hglee »

sinderel wrote:The problem with this is that it would break the factory seal, and I have had this laptop for less than a year so I think it would mess up the guarantee...

I doubt that opening your laptop will be needed in this case. Your wifi works with Windows, so defective hardware is unlikely.

There's some diagnostic benefit in having dual-boot. When I got my new Dell 2-in-1, last autumn, I wiped the drive but then restored Windows in a small partition because Dell has a Windows-based SupportAssistant that can do hardware diagnostics and update the BIOS.

With Microsoft spyware present, though, I have my Home folder encrypted. The Mint installer makes that uber easy and transparent.

https://termbin.com/yxbn wrote:[ 4.500825] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Detected Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz, REV=0x354
Network: Device-1: Intel Wireless-AC 9462 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 00:14.3 chip ID: 8086:02f0

Looks like your Intel AX201 wifi chipset is misidentified as an Intel 9462. They use the same iwlwifi driver, but different firmware.

Since Intel is a major contributor to Linux, I'm disappointed to see them just shrug about this, even as it appears on their own NUC PC kit. The NUC owner made sure the proper AX201 firmware is installed, but their system blissfully installs the one for 9462. Intel just tells them to contact the OS vendor.

Well then, you've come to the right place at least. Or maybe this is the only gin joint in town. ;)

So, could we be looking at Ubuntu Bug #1896303? Unfortunately, the one solution involved opening the laptop: "Ugh. It turns out an antenna lead had come unhooked. With that remedied, things look much better now. Sorry for the noise."

Then Bugzilla #205749 says Intel patched the problem in December 2020, and supposedly backported to kernel 5.4.16. This Bugzilla ticket was closed.

And a similar issue is reported in Arch Linux FS#64703: "In 5.3.13 wifi works fine, in 5.4 and 5.4.1 the kernel has trouble initialising the wifi device". The report refers to the Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i chipset, which is the AX201 under a different marketing hat. The Intel 9462, 9560, and 9260 make appearances on the list of usual suspects. So far, the issue is unresolved.

We have seen the AX201<->9462 situation here before, but the fix wasn't clear. I had seen posts in which the problem was said to be a kernel regression introduced in version 5.4, still seen in 5.8, so a possible solution was go back to 5.3. That calls for the Mainline Installer (a fork of ukuu) because Mint's kernel installer doesn't go back past 5.4. Then the AX201 wifi unexpectedly started working under 5.10, though the OP said they had tried 5.10 before with no apparent improvement. They had drained their laptop battery, however. As noted earlier in this thread, removing the power source and residual electric charge results in a cold reset. Perhaps you could drain your battery, hold down Power (hold, hold, hold), and let it sit on empty for a good long while.

Installing kernel 5.3 or earlier is a solution that I've seen reported in several places and distros.

As a Ryzen user, I'd try something desperate before accepting any kernel earlier than 5.8. Like, I'd rename the firmware files, so that my system can cluelessly load what it thinks is the 9462 file, though it would actually be loading AX201 firmware. Theoretically speaking, since I've never tried this.

You could try updating your firmware, from just last month, though some say the problem isn't only in the firmware:

cd ~/Downloads && wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_1.197_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-firmware_1.197_all.deb
Reboot.

The iwlwifi backport that was forced earlier isn't doing anything for you, so it can be removed:

sudo dkms remove backport-iwlwifi/8324 --all

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe
sinderel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sinderel »

Thanks for all that information! It's taken me a while to digest it (not sure I have succeeded on that :))

I tried updating the firmware with the commands you provided and rebooted, but that didn't help. I saw there was another update on the meantime (1.198) and tried that one as well, but no success.

In case this is useful information: I have also tried if an older Linux Mint (20) from a live distribution would still recognize the wifi, and it does.
As a Ryzen user, I'd try something desperate before accepting any kernel earlier than 5.8. Like, I'd rename the firmware files, so that my system can cluelessly load what it thinks is the 9462 file, though it would actually be loading AX201 firmware. Theoretically speaking, since I've never tried this.
Maybe I could try this one, though I'm not very sure how to do it. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Return to “Networking”