local network not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertGM
Level 2
Level 2

Re: local network not working

Post by RobertGM »

I did as you asked. cifs-utils was already installed. I was able to access the "transfer" folder on CPR4 from CPR1.
I can also access the new folder through system files/media/CPR4Xfer on CPR1 where the folder is listed under devices in the tree to the left.
I copied an existing file and pasted it when in media/CPR4Xfer on CPR1.
When I select "transfer on 192.168.0.5" under network in the tree I see the existing and the copied file. This displays as smb://192.168.0.5/transfer/ in the address bar.
When I go to CPR4 the copied file is displayed in the shared "transfer" folder. When I go to media/usr1 (address bar) I see a new folder icon (with an X in the bottom right and) a number -- 22B3-A868 -- as the name. I could not open it. Permissions are listed as root. So I opened folder usr1 as root and can access the folder. It's empty.
I copied and pasted the same file in the transfer folder and it showed up in CPR4Xfer. I did the same on CPR4 and the file shows up in both folders on CPR1.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I did as you asked. cifs-utils was already installed. I was able to access the "transfer" folder on CPR4 from CPR1.
I can also access the new folder through system files/media/CPR4Xfer on CPR1 where the folder is listed under devices in the tree to the left.
I copied an existing file and pasted it when in media/CPR4Xfer on CPR1.
When I select "transfer on 192.168.0.5" under network in the tree I see the existing and the copied file. This displays as smb://192.168.0.5/transfer/ in the address bar.
When I go to CPR4 the copied file is displayed in the shared "transfer" folder.
So both methods work. The moral of this story is don't use Nemo to discover then connect to the shared resource. Ask for it explicitly either as smb://server/share... in nemo or as a cifs mount.
When I go to media/usr1 (address bar) I see a new folder icon (with an X in the bottom right and) a number -- 22B3-A868 -- as the name. I could not open it. Permissions are listed as root. So I opened folder usr1 as root and can access the folder. It's empty.
I copied and pasted the same file in the transfer folder and it showed up in CPR4Xfer. I did the same on CPR4 and the file shows up in both folders on CPR1.
As far as I can tell this has nothing to do with this question since /media/user1 is not a shared resource. But I can tell you that 22B3-A868 looks like the UUID of a fat32 or possibly ExFat partition. Anyhoo, looks like a separate question to me.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
RobertGM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RobertGM »

So both methods work. The moral of this story is don't use Nemo to discover then connect to the shared resource. Ask for it explicitly either as smb://server/share... in nemo or as a cifs mount.
That doesn't help. I can access Nemo shared folders on the other three computers by clicking on the respective folder icon in Nemo file manager. Although, I cannot open the CPR4 folder from CPR3, the same as CPR1.

I also do not see the respective folders in Nemo when on CPR4. Except when I click on Windows Network > MYGROUP. All I see is the folder for CPR4.
RobertGM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RobertGM »

The plot thickens.
After almost 4 months I am almost getting Linux Mint 20.2 to work.
There are 4 computers on the local network, all running LM 20.2.
Each of the computers displays the network folders somewhat differently. And, while I don't need it "Windows Network" sometimes opens sometimes doesn't. (None of the computers use Windows OS.)
On CPR1 I cannot see CPR3 or CPR4 and the Windows Network folder does not open.
On CPR2 I can see all four computers but the folders are duplicated. The Windows Network folder opens.
On CPR3 I can see all four computers but CPR4 and the Windows Network folder do not open.
On CPR4 I cannot see CPR1 in the network folder but it is visible in the Windows Network folder. And the CPR4 folder icon is duplicated.
I'm wondering if I should uninstall Samba and try again?
RobertGM
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Samba is Trash

Post by RobertGM »

I, too, am having trouble with Samba on Mint 20.2: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=348766&p=2049226#p2049226
After doing some digging I discovered that the version which comes with Linux Mint Software Manager is:
Samba 4.11.6, dated January 28, 2020. The same in Synaptic Package Manager.
Meanwhile on the Samba website the current version is:
Samba 4.11.17, from December 03, 2020.
I have considered installing the more recent version but the instructions are beyond my technical abilities. However, the question remains:
Would a current version solve the problems here and/or the troubles which I outlined in the other similar Topic?
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: this and below posts from Augusts 5th split from "Samba is Trash" topic and merged here
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RowlandP »

RobertGM wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 am Meanwhile on the Samba website the current version is:
Samba 4.11.17, from December 03, 2020.
I have considered installing the more recent version but the instructions are beyond my technical abilities. However, the question remains:
Would a current version solve the problems here and/or the troubles which I outlined in the other similar Topic?
I don't know where you looked on the Samba website, but the current stable version of Samba is 4.14.6
If you want to use a Samba supported version (4.11.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned), then have a look here:

https://apt.van-belle.nl/

It is always possible that a newer version may fix any problems that you may have, but you should be aware that at 4.11.0 , SMBv1 was turned off by default.
RobertGM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RobertGM »

Thanks RowlandP. Seems I looked at the previous versions page.
Samba 4.14.6 is available on the Samba website as well: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/
Unfortunately for me, I am unsure how to install the Gzip package.
Still the question: Does this new version solve the problems people are having with Samba in Mint 20.2?
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RowlandP »

RobertGM wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:41 am Thanks RowlandP. Seems I looked at the previous versions page.
Samba 4.14.6 is available on the Samba website as well: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/
Unfortunately for me, I am unsure how to install the Gzip package.
Still the question: Does this new version solve the problems people are having with Samba in Mint 20.2?
If you want to use the gzip from Samba, then you will need to download it, unpack it, cd into the resultant directory, install a load of dependencies and then compile it. You probably don't want to do that, so just pretend your Linux Mint is Ubuntu 20.4 and use the repo I pointed you to.
RobertGM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RobertGM »

RowlandP wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:44 am If you want to use the gzip from Samba, then you will need to download it, unpack it, cd into the resultant directory, install a load of dependencies and then compile it. You probably don't want to do that, so just pretend your Linux Mint is Ubuntu 20.4 and use the repo I pointed you to.
The linked page from your link goes to a GZip version: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.14.6.html
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RowlandP »

RobertGM wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:37 pm
RowlandP wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:44 am If you want to use the gzip from Samba, then you will need to download it, unpack it, cd into the resultant directory, install a load of dependencies and then compile it. You probably don't want to do that, so just pretend your Linux Mint is Ubuntu 20.4 and use the repo I pointed you to.
The linked page from your link goes to a GZip version: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.14.6.html
On the post where I pointed what was the latest Samba version, there was a link to Louis Van Belle's repo:

https://apt.van-belle.nl/

You can trust the repo, Louis is a member of the Samba team
dhopley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhopley »

I've two Linux Mint machines one 19 and the other 20 , simply following altair's A,B,C,D at the start of this topic worked perfectly for me , as I have fixed router IP addresses , the 'smb://192.168.1.135/test' command in the file location field works OK too . Finally got rid of Windows : WORKGROUP !

Return to “Networking”