How do I configure to use proxy on LM 20.1?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PineAppleLogic
Level 1
Level 1

How do I configure to use proxy on LM 20.1?

Post by PineAppleLogic »

karlchen wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 pm Hello, camper, jerkey and msnealer.

Let me try to explain how to configure systemwide proxy settings on Linux Mint 13 + 14 Cinnamon desktop.
Caveats:
  • I choose Cinnamon because I use Cinnamon. The exact steps will really be different between desktop environments. I.e. proxy configuration and handling is still inconsistent on Ubuntu/Mint.
  • Not all programmes will care to honour the systemwide proxy settings. It is a real p.i.t.a. E.g. Firefox can use the system wide proxy settings, but you can configure a proxy in Firefox, too. Synaptic/Mintupdate cannot be bothered to honour the systemwide proxy settings. apt-get will have to be configured separately, too.
  • In case your proxy server requires logon credentials things will be more complicated.
1. Let us start with the general configuration of the systemwide proxy settings inside Network Manager:

In Cinnamon go to Menu => Preferences => Network. Inside Network select the third item, Network Proxy. Here you can specify your proxy settings manually and finally click on "Apply systemwide".
With the newer version of mint 20.1, there is no option called "Apply systemwide" How do you know apple your proxy settings?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: How do I configure to use proxy on LM 20.1?

Post by t42 »

After entering proxy settings into the Proxy fields just exit the dialogue and system will automatically apply your the proxy settings
-=t42=-
jedgell233
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jedgell233 »

t42 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:28 am After entering proxy settings into the Proxy fields just exit the dialogue and system will automatically apply your the proxy settings
Trying to figure this out myself and I see from the response above that proxy settings should automatically apply now. Makes sense as the browser then worked but mintupdate does not. Is that an issue with mintupdate just ignoring any and all proxies system wide?
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

jedgell233 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:00 pm Makes sense as the browser then worked but mintupdate does not.
Open Synaptic -->Preferences --> Network --> Manual proxy configuration and enter your data.
-=t42=-
drrummer

Post by drrummer »

PineAppleLogic wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:43 am
karlchen wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 pm In Cinnamon go to Menu => Preferences => Network. Inside Network select the third item, Network Proxy. Here you can specify your proxy settings manually and finally click on "Apply systemwide".
Where would I get my proxy settings ?

Return to “Networking”