Asus AC68 No Driver Support?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pixEd
Level 1
Level 1

Asus AC68 No Driver Support?

Post by pixEd »

Managed to finally get dual boot working and am excited to move into linux which I've wanted to do for a while. But my PCI-E network card a Asus AC68 has no drivers available for Linux. Am I doombed to have no internet access at all unless I buy a new card? I also can't connect my computer via ethernet as my computer is across the house so I can't go wired... could anyone help please? Thanks!
Running dual boot Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon and Windows 10 both 64bit.

EDIT: Using a very old ancient network dongle I'm able to get online but I'm limited to very slow speeds and unable to use my network card :/ Is there anything I can do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Asus AC68 No Driver Support?

Post by sleeper12 »

Maybe you can get a better temporary connection with your cell phone:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ernet.html

Then, try this one line at a time:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install git dkms
git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
cd rtl8812au
sudo make dkms_install 
Reboot
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

pixEd wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:29 am But my PCI-E network card a Asus AC68 has no drivers available for Linux.
Please provide the output of inxi -Nx so we get an idea of how Mint is viewing the hardware.

The information I found concerning this network card indicates people were able to get it to work, but the information I found was from Ubuntu 16.04 and 2015. I do not know if there is better support now.

Are there any drivers showing in Driver Manager for your card (since what I found indicates it is Broadcom based)?

Links to the old information I found:
ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless Lan Adapter (Mint)
[SOLVED] ASUS PCE-AC68 (Wireless card) (on slackware)
Asus USB-AC68 [0b05:1817] drivers? (Ubuntu)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
pixEd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pixEd »

I'm currently trying the method sleeper posted, heres the info btw:

Network:
  Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network 
  Adapter 
  vendor: ASUSTeK driver: bcma-pci-bridge v: N/A bus ID: 21:00.0 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 22:00.0 
  Device-3: Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter 
  type: USB driver: rtl8187 bus ID: 1-4:14 

Wifi keeps cutting out every 3-5 minutes with this dongle, This is what's in driver manager:
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

My mistake, I thought you were trying to get a usb adapter going. Try this for the internal adapter:

sudo modprobe -rv bcma wl 

sudo modprobe -v wl 
Last edited by sleeper12 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

pixEd wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:42 pm Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac
What I did to optimize my wireless was to run a search on the networking forum for the specific card. In this case BCM4360.

I found this post although that person mentioned they had a Macbook Air.

This person just readjusted the antenna [SOLVED] Broadcom BCM4360 on Linuxmint 20 not working properly.

This thread broadcom wifi drivers wont install has some tips and things to check.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
pixEd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pixEd »

sleeper12 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:15 pm My mistake, I thought you were trying to get a usb adapter going. Try this for the internal adapter:

sudo modprobe -v wl 
By internal do you mean the motherboards wifi? It hasn't got a built in one sadly sorry should've said that. Really hoping I can use this adaptor on mint to it's proper speeds and with no connection drops all the time. Will have try everything you guys have posted thank you will reply if nothing unfortunately works
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

pixEd wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:02 am
sleeper12 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:15 pm My mistake, I thought you were trying to get a usb adapter going. Try this for the internal adapter:

sudo modprobe -v wl 
By internal do you mean the motherboards wifi? It hasn't got a built in one sadly sorry should've said that. Really hoping I can use this adaptor on mint to it's proper speeds and with no connection drops all the time. Will have try everything you guys have posted thank you will reply if nothing unfortunately works
Try those 2 commands for the Broadcom adapter. I think you may need to use the wl driver.
pixEd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pixEd »

Thank you all so much! Tried all commands but I think it was

sudo modprobe -v wl 

That did it, before one of the comands made multiple instances of my wifi point show up. And wouldnt work with my AC68. Now everything works great, curious though as a windows user for my entire life what's do these commands do? I understand that they get drivers and are changing things but it's so alien as to where these drivers are for me as it's not even a wget command lol apologizes for my noobess. I understand

sudo apt install git dkms
git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
cd rtl8812au
sudo make dkms_install 
Download off get hub, changes directory and makes and installs it which hopefully won't stay onto my linux as having multiple drivers would seem risky to me in terms of making a system slow and to much going on?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

This should remove that wrong unwanted driver:

sudo make dkms_remove 

Return to “Networking”