Static IP address Needed {SOLVED}

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

Static IP address Needed {SOLVED}

Post by theeyan »

I need a static IP address for remote work. Is there a way to get it via Linux?

VPN? Free/Paid? I am a total newb when it comes to this :-(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Static IP address Needed

Post by RobertX »

You have to configure the computer itself for a static IP.

NordVPN for paid VPN, don''t use free VPNs.

Not to advertise, I was simply trying to inform
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

If you wish to have a static public IP address for remote work over some kind of VPN connection, you should contact your ISP. He is responsible for the public IP address of your modem/router.

Regards, Jože
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

I use paid No-IP DNS service but they have free service as well. There are a few free ones out there. That way instead of using your IP, you use a hostname you create like gotomyhome.org No matter what your public IP is, the service will make that hostname resolve to it and you will connect.

If you want to go the VPN route you can also create a VPN server, depending on your network equipment, to encrypt your connection. Windows and Android have client side software like openVPN and Linux Mint supports it natively through Network Manager with the openvpn plugin. Check your router to see if it has a VPN server option and what type it is. Use of the VPN still requires a static IP or hosted DNS.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by theeyan »

Wow. Thank you all so much! Very helpful!

Return to “Networking”