WiFi hotspot name (SSID) not persistent?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iateyourgranny
Level 1
Level 1

WiFi hotspot name (SSID) not persistent?

Post by iateyourgranny »

I have a wired connection and use my (Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon) laptop as a wireless hotspot. Sometimes, I might want to turn off this hotspot so that I can connect the laptop to a wireless network.

The problem is, when I turn off the hotspot, and turn it back on again later, the SSID defaults to the name of my laptop. It seems this is because the only way to reactivate the hotspot via GUI is from Network Settings window with the "Use as Hotspot..." button.

Is there a way to turn the hotspot on and off (with a GUI as opposed to command-line) without using this bugged toggle? The hotspot is listed in the Network Connections window; I would think there would be an option in Network Connections to connect to one of the listed networks, but it doesn't seem like there is. The hotspot also doesn't show up among the possible wireless network connections when you open the network menu from the applet in the status bar.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PhilCaldwell
Level 1
Level 1

Re: WiFi hotspot name (SSID) not persistent?

Post by PhilCaldwell »

I have the same problem on 20.1 Cinnamon. Even if you edit the SSID in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Hotspot.nmconnection to the one you want, the Network Connections tool changes the config file SSID back to the system name. Infuriating!

Return to “Networking”