[Solved] A laptop Eth backup connection via desktop

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] A laptop Eth backup connection via desktop

Post by jbh911 »

I'm running LM 20.2 Mate on a laptop connected to the desktop Eth card and the Desktop inbuild Eth connection to the modem.
With them both powered up the laptop produces a message "Requesting network address for wired connection 1"
I would appreciate assistance to progress from here to establish this connection. :D

I've installed an Eth Hub. Works a treat. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: A laptop Eth backup connection via desktop

Post by Moonstone Man »

jbh911 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:57 am I'm running LM 20.2 Mate on a laptop connected to the desktop Eth card and the Desktop inbuild Eth connection to the modem.
With them both powered up the laptop produces a message "Requesting network address for wired connection 1"
I would appreciate assistance to progress from here to establish this connection. :D
I think the more important question that needs to be answered is what exactly are you trying to achieve.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

so, does your desktop have 2 network cards, and you're trying to connect the laptop thru the desktop?

sounds like something like this is needed then (disclaimer: never did this myself)
https://linuxhint.com/linux_network_bridges_bonds/

.. or just buy a small switch and place it between modem and pcs
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

Hi Kadaitcha Man. I want to achieve a laptop data backup location on the desktop that's convenient to access.

I've made use of ivar's suggestion https://linuxhint.com/linux_network_bridges_bonds/ and established the bridge but the laptop Eth is not present!
Not present alright, wiped Eth out and WiFi as well!

So, I'm in the process of restoring the laptop Eth & WiFi.

Maybe back for assistance. Will advice outcome. :D
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

jbh911 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:34 pm I've made use of ivar's suggestion
Bad idea. Ivar's suggestion was a wild guess and totally inappropriate for your problem. "(disclaimer: never did this myself)" <--- that should have been sufficient to make you very wary.

You need two NICs on the controlling machine. From what I've read, your controlling machine has wifi and ethernet. Based on that, plug a minimum cat5 cable between the two machines. On the controlling machine, share the ethernet connection that goes to the slave machine, ie do not share the wifi connection; the sharing option is on the IPv4 page in Network Manager. On the slave machine, set it's NIC to automatic everything. The slave machine's IP will be obtained automatically from the master and it will be in the range 10.42.0.x, and it will communicate with the master on 10.42.0.1, thus ping -c3 10.42.0.1 from the slave should have the master respond.

There is no need for a bridge because in the setup you have there are only two NICs on the master, one wifi and one ethernet. A bridge is only necessary if you have three or more NICs and where a minimum of two are to be shared.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

Thanks Kadaitcha Man
I'll get rid of the bridge and get my mind around your suggestion. Cheers :D
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

jbh911 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 pm Thanks Kadaitcha Man
With my compliments. If it becomes confusing, I'll be happy to help unconfuse it.

Return to “Networking”