No internet access with KPN router

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansa123
Level 1
Level 1

No internet access with KPN router

Post by hansa123 »

Hi there,
I'm visiting a friend in the netherlands atm and I want to connect my Mint 20.2 MATE x64 Laptop to a KPN Experia Box. The strange thing is: both WIFI and cable fail. I can access the admin control panel with the given IP, but no website is loading and ping always fails. On windows 7 on the same laptop, it works fine. What is going on here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: No internet access with KPN router

Post by rene »

Ping to what always fails; to name, IP or both? If ping 8.8.8.8 works it's a DNS issue: have you configured custom DNS on Linux? I.e., perhaps your router back home?
hansa123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hansa123 »

Thanks for your reply. 8.8.8.8 fails as well as any URL. I installed this Mint just a week ago and it worked fine with various wifis. Now with this router, neither CAT5 nor wifi work, which is really confusing to me. Other hardware works fine with this hotspot so I am not sure what can be the cause. Apparently it must be the interaction of the hotspot and Mint since Win 7 works. Anything else I could try or test?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Am afraid I've little useable suggestion. Given that W7 on the same system works it must be system-sides; given that it's both Wi-Fi and ethernet and specific to this connection it's not a hardware/signal-strength issue; DNS was denied. Any suggestion I have boils down to Linux-sides setup but given that you installed it only recently I would assume you'd remember setting up a VPN that denies access from your location or some such.

I.e., sorry; no idea. Scrounge around your networking settings...

Return to “Networking”