Router Stops Working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Router Stops Working

Post by borgward »

What causes WRT4G router to periodically stop connecting to Internet? I can ping the router but nothing on the web. It will work after I unpower it and then power it back on. This happens every several months. Router has never been upgraded. Is this typical of all routers or just the WRT54G. I have gone through several over the last 15 or 20 years.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Router Stops Working

Post by JoeFootball »

borgward wrote: Router has never been upgraded.
Are you keeping the router's firmware updated?
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

No.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

borgward wrote:No.
Very well. Speaking for myself, I try make efforts to stay on top of that.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

borgward

No insult meant but that is a very old router by today's standards/tech ( I had one back in 2008 when I was just beginning to swim in the deep end of the World of Warcraft pool and rocking my 2nd custom built gaming PC) IF..the latest firmware from Linksys doesn't resolve the problem. It may be time to replace that router.

Setting that end-choice aside for a bit, does this problem happen only when you're connected wirelessly, physically, or either one?

If Physically...try a different port, then power off the router, modem, and that C. Count to 15, power on the modem. count to at least 95 seconds, then power on the router, count to a solid minute, then power on that pc and try again. Rinse and repeat until each and every port is tried and see if the result changes.

Wireless= Not much you can do with that since it's a Wireless b and g only-options- router. Connecting with wireless b these days can be...well...painfully slow depending on what you're trying to accomplish online. But I like to rule out anything and everything I can *shrugs*....

--- Perhaps there is or are a setting or multiple settings in the router's settings page involved here. It's been ages since I've looked at it--

If you can connect physically with an ethernet cable, take the router out of the equation. power off all devices ( pc, router, modem), connect straight from the modem to the pc, power that modem on and give it a good 90 ish seconds, then power on the pc. If everything works as it should, then no matter how ya slice it, that router is the problem.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Networking”