Wi-Fi driver not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kerimoff
Level 1
Level 1

Wi-Fi driver not working

Post by Kerimoff »

Hello there. I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon. Sometimes when mint boots up for the first time, the Wi-Fi disappears completely and when I restart it, the problem goes away. I don't know why it is caused. I would be very happy if you help. Thank you in advance.

Edit by Moderator:
Removed Image Link, that is not working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Wi-Fi driver not working

Post by JoeFootball »

Kerimoff wrote: I don't know why it is caused.
I have a similar situation with an older laptop. From what I can diagnose, the wireless card, arguably a peripheral, doesn't initialize fast enough before the OS boots. i.e., a hardware issue.

If I start the OS immediately after power-up, wireless will often fail, and often be resolved if I restart from there (without shutdown). But if I wait about 20 seconds at GRUB after power-up before starting the OS, it will rarely fail.

Clearly inconvenient, but that's what works for me with that laptop.
Kerimoff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kerimoff »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:02 pm
Kerimoff wrote: I don't know why it is caused.
I have a similar situation with an older laptop. From what I can diagnose, the wireless card, arguably a peripheral, doesn't initialize fast enough before the OS boots. i.e., a hardware issue.

If I start the OS immediately after power-up, wireless will often fail, and often be resolved if I restart from there (without shutdown). But if I wait about 20 seconds at GRUB after power-up before starting the OS, it will rarely fail.

Clearly inconvenient, but that's what works for me with that laptop.
Thank you for your attention
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

You can try this:
Open Startup Applications
Click on the Plus sign (+)
Click on Choose Application
Scroll down and select Network
Click on Add Application
Click on the Pencil
Set delay to 2 seconds
Shutdown the machine
Powerup the machine and see if wifi is working

This worked on one of my laptops that was having problems
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Return to “Networking”