SOME CRITICISM -- Network connection issue

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

SOME CRITICISM -- Network connection issue

Post by RubyStone »

You can read my original post below.
Clem and the Linux Mint team deserve some criticism for the lack of action on getting an integral part of any OS (networking). Based on my observations that I note in the initial post, I think that there is a lot of lazyness from the coding group as well as from this forum. It's not for lack of trying on my part - I asked the questions and did about 85% of the diagnostics.
Some may reply that they are offended, by what I am saying, but if that is the only reply then my criticism will be on-point.

On the exact same machine (configuration) EVERY OTHER DISTRO ON THE PLANET has no problem finding shares on my simply configured Synology drive. The current versions of Ubuntu AND Manjaro have no issue whatsoever.

SERIOUSLY, I TOLD YOU ALL IT IS THE NETWORK CARD. ONE ADAPTER WORKS WHILE ANOTHER DOESN'T. I don't need to make ANY changes in any config file for it to work with a different adapter. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu code I can only conclude that it is lazy coding and maybe even a lack of experience in network configuration. I'm no code but I expect the professionals to know.....

You ask for donations. I can't donate a penny with this level of unresponsiveness from forums and management. There are several people I know who would like to donate in the hundreds but this can't happen right now. Not until things work.

I was surprised that Linus Tech Tips mentioned possible doing a 2-3 month challenge with Linux-only as a daily driver. They are going to do it! BUT even though they mentioned Linux Mint as a top option it looks like they will go with another distro that has better development. Understandable given what I am seeing here.

I'm sorry but I think you all need a bit of truth. Take it however you want: make excuses and keep doing what your doing (and many will probably give up on Mint) or listen to what people are saying and do something about it.

That's it.

---- Original Post ----
FIRST: love the new website design !!!
Nemo can't find/load the shares that are on a Synology NAS. More specifically, it can't find them when using an Intel 2.5 gigabit network card.
Manjaro Cinnamon can find them. Ubuntu can find them, but for some reason Mint 20.2 Cinnamon (all updates) can't find the NAS shares.
Anyone know why?
On the same machine with the 2.5 gigabit network card, if I connect a usb-gigabit adapter it will find the NAS shares. Really strange.

Anyone know why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Network connection issue

Post by altair4 »

You might want to edit the title of this question to include the word Synology. This will attract our resident expert on all things Synology - AndyMH.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

On the same machine with the 2.5 gigabit network card, if I connect a usb-gigabit adapter it will find the NAS shares. Really strange.
I assume you have normal internet access with the 2.5 gigabit network card? I suspect this is the problem, not how you connect to the NAS, but...

How are you trying to connect to the synology?

Code: Select all

smb://diskstation.local/
in nemo, or via network > windows network in nemo, or an entry in your fstab?

Have you read altair4's thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=322404&p=1831297&h ... 0#p1831297

Or are you using NFS?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 am
I assume you have normal internet access with the 2.5 gigabit network card? I suspect this is the problem, not how you connect to the NAS, but...

How are you trying to connect to the synology?

Code: Select all

smb://diskstation.local/
in nemo, or via network > windows network in nemo, or an entry in your fstab?

Have you read altair4's thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=322404&p=1831297&h ... 0#p1831297

Or are you using NFS?
Sorry for the really late reply. Thank you so much for your feedback. I actually don't have any issue to actually access my Synology shares. I can use either xxx.loca/sharename to acces. I can even smb:<ip address>/share if I want. I have bookmarked these locations so that is not the issue.

I am hoping to help the developers / community to realize there is an issue with how the network adapter communicates and accesses the various shares. It might be related to the way drivers for certain adapters are configured in the kernel.

Nemo can find the Synology shares without issue using certain network adapters. So, for example, without changing anything at all on a machine that will not find the shares (can't get the share list) at all that same machine can find the shares in Nemo if I connect using a USB-ethernet adapter.

Exact same install, no change in settings, or anything but using one adapter finds network shares on Synology and using the built-in 2.5gig adapter doesn't. however, I think it is a kernel-level config issue. I will test this soon with a generic 2.5 gig ethernet expansion car I have.,

As for the other answers, I utilize them without issue but that is a fix of the symptom and not the problem.

Return to “Networking”