A document scanner on a LAN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sanric
Level 1
Level 1

A document scanner on a LAN

Post by sanric »

Hi everybody,

I have an old Ricoh Aficio MP1600 multifunction printer which is connected to the office LAN. I am able to use it as a printer with no problems on Linux Mint but I cannot manage to use its scanning capabilities.
On Win7 I use the software that was included with the printer, called "Desktop Binder" (ugly name :cry: ): are there on Linux any programs (or workarounds) that I can use in order to make it work?
All the things I know are made for direct USB connection to the computer, not a LAN.
Can you please help me?
Many thanks to everyone! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: A document scanner on a LAN

Post by AZgl1800 »

have you tried Xsane ??
I had decent luck with that twice now.

it is in Software Manager

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

An alternate to using your scanner.

I have stopped using mine, and now strictly use my Smartphone with an app called TurboScan

it is available in any of the mobile phone OS types,
my son uses it on his iPhone, and I use it on my Android phone.

It is great for record keeping of Receipts, it recognizes them immediately, I take a picture of every over-the-counter receipt or invoice that I acquire.

it saves them as PDFs

shell.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
sanric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sanric »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:35 am have you tried Xsane ??
I had decent luck with that twice now.
I've already tried it but with no luck.
I've also tried with
xsane net:ip address
but nothing.
freshminted
Level 4
Level 4

Post by freshminted »

Your scanner can probably scan to a shared folder on the network or to email. If you can't use a built-in Mint program, you could use one of those options instead.
Complete World Domination within five years.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Try vuescan.
https://www.hamrick.com/
It's not free, but you can try it for free. Been using it for years both win and linux. If it won't work with vuescan it probably won't work. I use it with an Epson XP305 connected via wifi, vuescan finds it no problems.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
sanric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sanric »

freshminted wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:56 am Your scanner can probably scan to a shared folder on the network or to email. If you can't use a built-in Mint program, you could use one of those options instead.
Probably this is the most logical thing to do, the easiest one with no particular hassles.
Many thanks :D
donten
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donten »

Here's a guide to use:

https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork

I have my Canon all-in-one, a TR8620, plugged directly into my router with an rj45 cable: handy port to have on the printer!
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

freshminted wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:56 am Your scanner can probably scan to a shared folder on the network or to email. If you can't use a built-in Mint program, you could use one of those options instead.
We 've got Ricoh Aficios at work. Setup to scan to email (SMTP) , but shared folders work too

Return to “Networking”