[SOLVED] Problem with connection after download Torbrowser

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antodj
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Problem with connection after download Torbrowser

Post by antodj »

Hi everyone, I'm using the latest version of cinnamon, until yesterday everything is fine, I have a wired ethernet connection and if necessary I used ProtonVPN to connect, without special settings. Last night I decided to download Torbrowser but after downloading and configuring I can no longer connect through my normal network, I can only connect through the proton VPN. What could have happened? Launching the ifconfig command from the terminal, a new entry appeared between the devices: ipv6leakintrf0: flags = 195 <UP, BROADCAST, RUNNING, NOARP> mtu 1500
that I did not have before and also typing the command curl ifconfig.me an error appears, as if it no longer connected via the normal network card. If i connect by VPN i can navigate....why?
Before running into trouble installing Tor I went through the following steps:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa: micahflee / ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

Tanks for all support
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Problem with connection after download Torbrowser

Post by BwingBob »

I also use Proton VPN. The ipv6leakintrf0 connection is a connection that Proton VPN adds to insure that IP Version 6 does not leak your IP. If you open the Proton VPN gui and disconnect this connection should be removed.

If you power down or reboot with an active Proton VPN connection, the Proton VPN connection will still be active after the restart and you will not be able to connect to the internet without enabling the connection. If you would like to connect without a VPN start the GUI and disconnect.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
antodj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by antodj »

Hi Bob, first of all many thanks for your consideration, I'm new to linux but I try to explain myself, the problem is not Vpn, the problem arose as soon as I installed the Tor Browser package, following instructions from the site, I added a package to the "ppa: micahflee / ppa" repository and then I downloaded and installed Tor Browser and Launcher Configuration. From here I was no longer able to connect to the network, or rather the connection is to the network but some wrong configuration has been added following the Tor configurations. Now i can connet only by Vpn
antodj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by antodj »

Thank you very much Bob for the advice, you were right the GUi of the Vpn remained open in the background and without disconnecting it I could not access the internet. I disconnected the VPN from the Gui and now everything is fine .... Many Thanks
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

No problem happy to help.

Bob
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

antodj wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:40 am Thank you very much Bob for the advice, you were right the GUi of the Vpn remained open in the background and without disconnecting it I could not access the internet. I disconnected the VPN from the Gui and now everything is fine .... Many Thanks
Just noticed that after the last Proton VPN update the Proton GUI will not start properly after a reboot where the VPN connection was active before the shutdown. The GUI just hangs starting up. To clear this condition right click the network Icon in the panel, go to Network Settings and disable the connection called Dummy. Everything should work normally.

Bob
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)

Return to “Networking”