Could this printer be accessed

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geoffnut
Level 1
Level 1

Could this printer be accessed

Post by geoffnut »

Hi all, greetings from down under.
What I have: Main computer is a stand alone Windows10 desktop connected to modem by ethernet cable and has the printer in question connected by USB cable. 2nd computer is a desktop with Linux Mint 20.2 cinnamon and is connected to modem by a USB WiFi adapter. 3rd is a laptop with Linux Mint 20.2 cinnamon connected by WiFi. All of the machines can communicate and file share with each other, I use the "Connect to" command on the Linux machines to connect to the Windows machine.
What I want to do: Is send print jobs directly to the printer from the Linux machines through the network. The printer is a just an elcheapo Cannon no Wifi or Ethernet connections.
I have installed the printer on the Linux machines to see if it is compatible and it is.
I think that's all any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards Geoff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Could this printer be accessed

Post by AZgl1800 »

you will have to install SAMBA network drivers...

I used to share a Win7 laser USB printer to my linux laptops.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Share the printer on the Windows PC and the Linux PC's should pick it up either automatically or through adding in the Printers application.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:36 am Share the printer on the Windows PC and the Linux PC's should pick it up either automatically or through adding in the Printers application.
the Linxu PCs will have to have SAMBA installed
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

OP stated file sharing is established and active between the Windows and Linux computers. Sounds like samba is already active.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
geoffnut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geoffnut »

Yes, this is true both the Linux machines have Samba installed and active.

Return to “Networking”