ethernet adapter changed names and doesnt work on start-up

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aorta
Level 1
Level 1

ethernet adapter changed names and doesnt work on start-up

Post by Aorta »

I restarted my router and when I tried to connect to the internet on my linux mint cinnamon computer I was unable to. I was able to connect with other devices and windows computers. I checked my connection using ifconfig -a and it showed that I had two connections, lo and enol, with no connections named eth0, eth1 etc. I did some trouble shooting and someone suggested going into /etc/network/interfaces and when I did it said " auto eth0 iface enol inet dhcp" I changed eth0 to enol and the computer connected again and everything was working fine, until i rebooted the computer a few days later. Upon reboot, once again the computer couldnt connect to the internet. I checked ifconfig -a still just showed two names: enol & lo, and I checked /etc/network/interfaces and everything was as I left it "auto enol iface inet dhcp". I then went to network > wired > wrench/bolt>forget and then turned on wired connection again and it auto connected and the internet worked again.

Now, I am trying to set this computer up as a server that starts all programs on reboot. Is there anyway to fix this permanently? I set up the same programs on a raspberry pi running ubuntu and I never had this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”