Live Boot Cinnamon 20.2 Edge not showing Intel WiFi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Live Boot Cinnamon 20.2 Edge not showing Intel WiFi

Post by HappyLinux »

I live booted Cinnamon 20.2 Edge from a USB flash in order to test hardware compatibility etc.

I went to check for WiFi connections only to find that WiFi isn't there. There's the wired connection settings but no WiFi in the taskbar next to the clock.

I need to find out solutions before I actually install Mint because I don't have access to another computer.

This means if I install Mint and there's no WiFi then I'm pretty much fudged and would have to reinstall Win10 just to access the internet. I can't really use LAN cable to connect as that would require a rather long cable trailing through my home.

The WiFi is built into the motherboard and is an Intel chipset with built in Bluetooth. So it's one of those dual function models that doubles as both WiFi and Bluetooth.

I noticed in the Live Boot that there was a Bluetooth icon next to the clock so I think it detected the Bluetooth hardware, but I didn't look into it as it's not an immediate priority.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI (rev1-1).

According to the Intel website the drivers should already be built into the Kernel and they provide a hefty list.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... eless.html

I don't really know what WiFi chipset model I have installed as I can't find it anywhere.

The Gigabyte website lists it as Intel® 802.11ac Wave2 2T2R WIFI & BT 5. The motherboard only states generic information like it's 802.11ac. That sort of thing. No mention of of what chipset.

How can I get WiFi to work within Live Boot?

Oh. I may have found something before even hitting submit so this is an edit before making the first post of this. Sorry.

Still, I won't know if this is accurate or not, but it seems close.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... brief.html

As far as I can tell, this Intel® 802.11ac Wave2 2T2R WIFI & BT 5 thing is used on different Gigabyte Motherboards, and even some ASRock motherboards. Not to mention that my motherboard is now a few years old. (Also more and more motherboards come with built in WiFi).

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Live Boot Cinnamon 20.2 Edge not showing Intel WiFi

Post by sleeper12 »

Maybe you need to disable secure boot in Bios. Check:

Code: Select all

mokutil --sb-state 
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

sleeper12 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:55 pm Maybe you need to disable secure boot in Bios. Check:

mokutil --sb-state 
I booted up the Live Boot again and ran the command in Terminal.

"EFI variables not supported by this system" is what I got. Maybe not exact words, but that's basically it.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Please post an inxi -Fxpmzr report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and how Mint sees it per  How to get help .

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Boot from your installation media (USB/DVD)
Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Copy the following code and paste into the terminal (Ctrl-Shft-V) then hit Enter/Return:

inxi -Fxpmrz 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Go to Edit, Select All, and then Copy, come back here, click on reply then code tags, </>, and then paste.
The results will help us to help you.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Larry78723 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:11 am Please post an inxi -Fxpmzr report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and how Mint sees it per  How to get help .

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Boot from your installation media (USB/DVD)
Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Copy the following code and paste into the terminal (Ctrl-Shft-V) then hit Enter/Return:

inxi -Fxpmrz 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Go to Edit, Select All, and then Copy, come back here, click on reply then code tags, </>, and then paste.
The results will help us to help you.
There's a small flaw in your instructions.

Without internet access while loaded into the Live Boot I cannot copy and paste the

inxi -Fxpmrz 
results into here.

What would you suggest that I do to get around this problem?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Maybe you can get a temporary connection like this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ernet.html
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Good and bad news. I don't really use my phone for internet. Kindle and messaging mostly.

However, I think I know what to do.

Put in the Terminal command and copy the results into LibreOffice and save it to a USB storage before loading Win10 again and copy the results from the file into here.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Well that idea didn't work for some reason.

I'd copy the inxi results into LibreOffice and save the file to USB HDD as an .odt file. Even checked that it was after I saved it by loading the HDD.

However, when I rebooted into Win10, I find that the file is gone. Like it wasn't there.

I did this twice to make sure that I saved the file. Even closing LibreOffice and double clicking the file to open it. But nothing, the file is gone when I reboot.

Any thoughts?
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Well this is weird.

I just turned my computer on and before it loads to Windows login screen, while my motherboard splash screen/logo was still showing, it does a scan of my USB HDD which took 5 minutes before finally reaching the login screen.

After checking the USB HDD I find that the .odt file I created with the Live Boot is now there. Why? How? I got no clue what happened. Scared the heck out of me as it's important storage for me.

Well, here it is anyway. The full results.

I don't know why it's listing my nVidia audio instead of my Realtek audio which my speakers are plugged into.

However, back to the WiFi. It looks like it's detected it as "Intel Wireless-AC 9260" chipset.

I hope this will help in figuring out why I don't have any WiFi in Live Boot.

mint@mint:~$ inxi -Fxpmrz
System:
  Kernel: 5.11.0-22-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.4 Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI v: N/A 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Gigabyte model: X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI-CF v: x.x serial: <filter> 
  UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F5 date: 09/19/2018 
Memory:
  RAM: total: 15.64 GiB used: 720.1 MiB (4.5%) 
  RAM Report: 
  permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required. 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ 
  rev: 2 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 81592 
  Speed: 1271 MHz min/max: 1550/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1271 2: 1265 
  3: 1382 4: 1377 5: 2736 6: 2552 7: 1269 8: 1265 9: 1376 10: 1371 11: 1377 
  12: 1371 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] vendor: ASUSTeK 
  driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NV168 v: 4.3 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.1 
  Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 0b:00.3 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.11.0-22-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel I211 Gigabit Network vendor: Gigabyte driver: igb 
  v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 05:00.0 
  IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Intel Wireless-AC 9260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f000 
  bus ID: 06:00.0 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 9.11 TiB used: 1.69 TiB (18.6%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: Corsair model: Voyager size: 14.98 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD Elements 25A3 
  size: 7.28 TiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Western Digital 
  model: WD My Passport 2626 size: 931.48 GiB 
  ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Crucial model: CT1000MX500SSD1 size: 931.51 GiB 
  temp: 39 C 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 7.82 GiB used: 27.8 MiB (0.3%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
  ID-2: /cdrom size: 14.97 GiB used: 2.24 GiB (15.0%) fs: ntfs 
  dev: /dev/sda1 
  ID-3: /media/mint/Little Black size: 931.48 GiB used: 118.89 GiB (12.8%) 
  fs: ntfs dev: /dev/sdc1 
  ID-4: /media/mint/Video Drive size: 7.28 TiB used: 1.58 TiB (21.7%) 
  fs: ntfs dev: /dev/sdb1 
  ID-5: /rofs raw size: 1.99 GiB size: <superuser/root required> 
  used: <superuser/root required> fs: squashfs dev: /dev/loop0 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 38.2 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 26 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nouveau fan: 839 
Repos:
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  1: deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 20.2 _Uma_ - Release amd64 20210706]/ focal contrib main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com uma main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
  Processes: 321 Uptime: 1m Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 
  Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38 
mint@mint:~$ 
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I checked my BIOS to look at the Secure Boot option and couldn't find it. So I left that alone.

However, I downloaded and Live Booted Kubuntu 20.04.03 as a test and found something rather interesting.

Apart from there being no sound at all, I found that the WiFi was working perfectly.

I clicked on the WiFi icon next to the clock and it immediately brought up a dozen WiFi networks in my area (the usual picking up neighbours WiFi etc) and found my network and connected to it. I even used Firefox to browse a dozen websites.

Why won't Mint 20.2 Live Boot not work with WiFi?

I thought it was a Cinnamon problem, but I tried MATE and Xfce but they're all the same. No WiFi detected.

Am I missing something?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Did you try the regular Mint 20.2 rather than the Edge version, any difference?
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I didn't try the regular Cinnamon version instead of the Edge version.

However, after you asked if I did, I quickly gave it a try.

As soon as it loaded into the desktop, it immediately froze. I could move my mouse, but I couldn't click on anything. Even hovering over icons to get a message to say what the icon is for did nothing.

I was forced to hold the power button on the computer to forcibly turn the machine off.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

That's strange, maybe try Mate or Xfce?
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

sleeper12 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:01 pm That's strange, maybe try Mate or Xfce?
I did try as I mentioned above.

I'll quote here.
HappyLinux wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:59 am I checked my BIOS to look at the Secure Boot option and couldn't find it. So I left that alone.

However, I downloaded and Live Booted Kubuntu 20.04.03 as a test and found something rather interesting.

Apart from there being no sound at all, I found that the WiFi was working perfectly.

I clicked on the WiFi icon next to the clock and it immediately brought up a dozen WiFi networks in my area (the usual picking up neighbours WiFi etc) and found my network and connected to it. I even used Firefox to browse a dozen websites.

Why won't Mint 20.2 Live Boot not work with WiFi?

I thought it was a Cinnamon problem, but I tried MATE and Xfce but they're all the same. No WiFi detected.

Am I missing something?
Will I need to wait for Mint 20.3 or 21?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I suspect Kubuntu is booting with a 5.4 kernel and the problem you are having with the standard mint (also a 5.4 kernel) is your nvidia graphics. Try booting the mint install iso in compatibility mode and see if wifi works. Support for your wireless chipset has been built into the kernel since 4.14.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:36 am I suspect Kubuntu is booting with a 5.4 kernel and the problem you are having with the standard mint (also a 5.4 kernel) is your nvidia graphics. Try booting the mint install iso in compatibility mode and see if wifi works. Support for your wireless chipset has been built into the kernel since 4.14.
I tried booting in compatibility mode and still no WiFi.

I also found out that the chipset drivers have been in the Linux Kernel since 4.14 according to the Intel website.

This problem is really frustrating and confusing the heck out of me. Mint has sound but no WiFi while Kubuntu has no sound but has WiFi.

Yet Mint is based on Ubuntu.

From what I've noticed with other reports is that there seems to be a problem with mint 20.2 when it comes to WiFi. Especially with Intel chipsets.

Do you have any other thoughts?

P.S. I'm grateful for all the help so far. Cheers everyone.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You could always try LM20.1 (or even LM20.0) :( . I stuck with LM19.0 for a long time because of a bug in LM19.1, never went to LM19.2 and jumped straight to LM20.

If no sound with LM20.1, might be easier to fix than the wifi. There is a sound expert here on the forum.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

If you dual boot, you may need to disable Fast Boot in Bios & Fast Startup in Win power options.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

sleeper12 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:09 am If you dual boot, you may need to disable Fast Boot in Bios & Fast Startup in Win power options.
Good call, should have thought of that! With fast startup, win never really shuts down so some devices may be left in a locked state. Fast boot in BIOS - no, all that does is skip some of the POST tests.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:02 am You could always try LM20.1 (or even LM20.0) :( . I stuck with LM19.0 for a long time because of a bug in LM19.1, never went to LM19.2 and jumped straight to LM20.

If no sound with LM20.1, might be easier to fix than the wifi. There is a sound expert here on the forum.
I could try older versions of Mint. However, if push comes to shove I'll go with Kubuntu temporarily seeing as Kubuntu has working WiFi but no sound.

Only until Mint brings out a version that works for me.

Would I be able to use this forum to fix the sound in Kubuntu, or would I need to have an account in Ubuntu forums?
sleeper12 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:09 am If you dual boot, you may need to disable Fast Boot in Bios & Fast Startup in Win power options.
I'm not interested in Dual Boot. I wish to utterly ditch Windows.

Before you say that I can dual boot different Linux distros, I will say that I can't be doing with switching between distros to do one thing or another. It's a single distro or nothing for me.

I also went looking in the BIOS for Secure Boot and couldn't find it. The only thing I found about booting in the BIOS was the booting sequence order list thing.

Return to “Networking”