Live Boot Cinnamon 20.2 Edge not showing Intel WiFi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Live Boot Cinnamon 20.2 Edge not showing Intel WiFi

Post by AndyMH »

HappyLinux wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:17 pm Would I be able to use this forum to fix the sound in Kubuntu, or would I need to have an account in Ubuntu forums?
No. This forum is for LM, want help on another flavour of ubuntu then join their forum. You are also more likely to get informed advice rather than just guesswork.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

HappyLinux wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:17 pm
sleeper12 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:09 am If you dual boot, you may need to disable Fast Boot in Bios & Fast Startup in Win power options.
I'm not interested in Dual Boot. I wish to utterly ditch Windows.
But, you have Windows now. So, disable Fast Startup in Win power options to see if that helps.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

HappyLinux wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:59 am I checked my BIOS to look at the Secure Boot option and couldn't find it. So I left that alone.
The inxi output you posted indicates your BIOS has the option for UEFI and Legacy Mode and you currently have it set for Legacy mode. Legacy Mode does not have Secure Boot capabilities.

Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI v: N/A
serial: <filter>
Mobo: Gigabyte model: X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI-CF v: x.x serial: <filter>
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F5 date: 09/19/2018

If you want to see the option for Secure Boot, switch back to UEFI mode.

If wireless is working in Kubuntu, then provide inxi output for it. Maybe we'll be able to see a difference that will indicate how we might get Mint working for you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:02 pm No. This forum is for LM, want help on another flavour of ubuntu then join their forum. You are also more likely to get informed advice rather than just guesswork.
Understood. No problems. Just feels a little wasteful to create an account for a temporary installation.
sleeper12 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:09 pm But, you have Windows now. So, disable Fast Startup in Win power options to see if that helps.
Sadly, that's also not an option. I'm currently having a frustrating problem with Win10. It keeps randomly changing power settings. I've searched the internet for solutions but sadly the only solution that may work is a clean install. I could try disabling Fast Startup, but the chance of Win10 messing that up is quite high. This is one of the reasons that I'm trying to switch to Linux.
SMG wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:18 pm The inxi output you posted indicates your BIOS has the option for UEFI and Legacy Mode and you currently have it set for Legacy mode. Legacy Mode does not have Secure Boot capabilities.

Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI v: N/A
serial: <filter>
Mobo: Gigabyte model: X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI-CF v: x.x serial: <filter>
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F5 date: 09/19/2018

If you want to see the option for Secure Boot, switch back to UEFI mode.

If wireless is working in Kubuntu, then provide inxi output for it. Maybe we'll be able to see a difference that will indicate how we might get Mint working for you.
I've downloaded the ISOs for Cinnamon 20 and 20.1 but I'll get the inxi report for Kubuntu.

I utterly forgot about the difference between Legacy and UEFI. I had to switch off UEFI because for some reason all those years ago when Win10 was first released it didn't like my machine with UEFI on. I know, confusing.

So when I was told to turn off Secure Boot it didn't matter, as it was already turned off so that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, time to log off and sort out the inxi report from Kubuntu. I'll also give the Cinnamon 20 and 20.1 versions to the test.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I apologise in advance for this.

I put Kubuntu 20.04.03 onto my USB for Live Boot and booted it up. However, I got a surprise when I reached the desktop. The WiFi wasn't working. That was a shocker. It worked the last time, but not this time.

So I went back into Win10 and put Kubuntu 21.10 onto the USB drive and Live Booted it. To my utter surprise everything worked. Apart from the WiFi which worked straight away, as usual the sound didn't. But I figured out a partial solution to that. It's confused the names for the sound chips. I switched the audio output to nVidia HDMI and the sound worked. There's no mention of my Realtek audio. That was confusing.

I opened the Terminal program and keyed in;

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxpmrz
However, it immediately came back saying inxi wasn't installed.

So I went back to Win10 to put Cinnamon 20.1 onto the USB drive only for it to straight up die on me after reaching a little over 10% in Rufus.

I'm a little surprised it lasted so long as I've used it for years.

However, I no longer have a usable drive for Linux Live Booting. It'll take me a few days to get a new one so this problem solving will be on hold for a few days.

Like I said, I apologise in advance.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

HappyLinux wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:14 am
AndyMH wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:02 pm No. This forum is for LM, want help on another flavour of ubuntu then join their forum. You are also more likely to get informed advice rather than just guesswork.
Understood. No problems. Just feels a little wasteful to create an account for a temporary installation.
While we do permit questions about other operating systems, those questions must be posted in the "Chat about Linux" section of the forum. You might get lucky and someone else will know an answer to a question about another operating system, but you are more likely to find answers about an operating system other than Mint on a forum specialized for that operating system.
HappyLinux wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:19 amI put Kubuntu 20.04.03 onto my USB for Live Boot and booted it up. However, I got a surprise when I reached the desktop. The WiFi wasn't working. That was a shocker. It worked the last time, but not this time.

So I went back into Win10 and put Kubuntu 21.10 onto the USB drive and Live Booted it. To my utter surprise everything worked.
I suspect there are two different kernels used on those two releases.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I've ordered a 16GB flash drive. When it arrives I'll start doing tests. Checking to see if Cinnamon 20 or 20.1 will work. If not then I'll use Kubuntu for the time being while keeping an eye out for newer Mint releases that will work. Which would mean I'll need to sort out an account for Ubuntu Forums.

Cheers anyway.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

I discovered, when trying to install LM 20.1 on a new laptop, that in windows 10 you can Disable Fast Startup using the Registry Editor. I did that and it worked.

However, you are recommended to back up the current registry before making any changes.

The detailed steps are provided below:

Step 1: Invoke Run dialog, input "regedit" (without the quotes) and press Enter to open Registry Editor.

Step 2: Copy and paste the following path to the address bar and press Enter key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

Step 3: Right-click the System folder and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it HiberbootEnabled.

Step 4: Double-click the DWORD and set its Value data to 0. Click OK button to save the change.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Hey everyone.

Quick update.

I've managed to test all Mint releases all the way back to Mint 19. For some reason there is still no WiFi.

This means to save some hassle I'll use Kubuntu 21.10 for the time being while keeping an eye out for a newer LTS release of Mint in the hopes that it'll work.

Thanks anyway folks.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Another update.

I've found out why I didn't have WiFi in Live Boot of many Distros. Different Mints, Kubuntu, Manjaro, Fedora and Pop OS.

Apparently Win10 power management kept blocking it. I had to disable Fast Boot from within Windows (I was told to disable Secure Boot in BIOS which was already disabled).

However, with Win10 having a buggy Power Management at the moment, it can take several attempts in turning off Fast Boot because Win10 has a habit of randomly changing the settings in Power Management.

I don't know if to consider this thread as solved though.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

HappyLinux wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:13 amApparently Win10 power management kept blocking it. I had to disable Fast Boot from within Windows (I was told to disable Secure Boot in BIOS which was already disabled).
There were two posts earlier in this thread, one by sleeper12 and another by AndyMH which specifically discuss turning off Fast Boot. You dismissed the suggestion at the time saying you did not want to dual boot. :?
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

SMG wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:49 am
HappyLinux wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:13 amApparently Win10 power management kept blocking it. I had to disable Fast Boot from within Windows (I was told to disable Secure Boot in BIOS which was already disabled).
There were two posts earlier in this thread, one by sleeper12 and another by AndyMH which specifically discuss turning off Fast Boot. You dismissed the suggestion at the time saying you did not want to dual boot. :?
Was it? Oops. I must not have realised.

Sorry folks. My bad. :cry:

Please let me try to clarify. And I do mean "try" to clarify.

My head is rather fried lately. Epilepsy problems. I won't go into details as this isn't the place.

I must have read the suggestions about "Fast Boot" as being something to do with BIOS.

I have zero interest in dual-boot because I'm both wanting and needing to ditch Windows. As in remove Windows from the computer. I have many reasons for this. So if I dual-boot, I would soon enough need to reinstall Mint to erase Windows which to me feels like a waste of time.

I've also never used Virtual Machines so there's no running Mint from inside Windows.

This means that I needed the WiFi to work.

My current install of Win10 is basically broken and refuses to repair unless I reinstall and hope that repairs it. Win10 has basically broken the Power Management and randomly changes settings for the monitor etc. The setting for Fast Boot in the Power Management also gets turned back on randomly. Only yesterday I found that Microsoft did just that. I had to turn it off again so that I can keep testing Live Boot.

So once I've solved this problem, but not without a fight from Win10, and a fault with audio within Live Boot (I started another thread in the relevant section) I'll finally be able to take the leap.

Sorry again.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

As you have found, there are two fast boots. The one in BIOS simply skips some of the POST (power on self test) routines. The one in win10 is a kludge by MS to make win appear faster to boot that it really is. I suspect win updates are turning it back on, disable automatic updates.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:27 am As you have found, there are two fast boots. The one in BIOS simply skips some of the POST (power on self test) routines. The one in win10 is a kludge by MS to make win appear faster to boot that it really is. I suspect win updates are turning it back on, disable automatic updates.
I don't know about Fast Boot in the BIOS, but my motherboard does have Secure Boot. As for Fast Boot in Windows, this is Win10. There is no option to turn off automatic updates. There's the option to delay updates, but not stop them.

However, I don't think Windows Update is altering the Power Management settings. I've altered the settings to turn off the setting to power down the monitors after 15 minutes only for an hour later to find that Windows has turned the setting back on. Windows Update says that it hasn't checked for updates for the last 7 hours.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

HappyLinux wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:21 am There is no option to turn off automatic updates.
It is only a google away:
https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/disab ... ws-10.html
MS hobbled this in the home edition, so if home, telling it you have a metered connection is probably the easiest way, the other one is a registry hack.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am It is only a google away:
https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/disab ... ws-10.html
MS hobbled this in the home edition, so if home, telling it you have a metered connection is probably the easiest way, the other one is a registry hack.
Gotcha. Sadly it just fried my brain trying to read it. But then again, it is 5:40am here at the moment and I under slept. So I'll get round to reading it at some point.

Return to “Networking”