Proton VPN messed up my DNS? I'm connected to my router, but there's no internet!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Computer connected but no access to internet, although other devices work

Post by BwingBob »

kykex wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:39 am A quick update in case this could help anyone else with the same problems: It's finally fixed!

So my VPN must have messed something with the DNS, but I have no idea what or where. I ended up going to the network settings, and for my ethernet connection, I noticed that in the parameters (the little clockwork icon at the bottom right) there was a tab (below iPv4 and iPv6) that was called "reset". I simply logged out of my VPN, hit the reset button (several times because nothing seemed to happen), but when I checked back on my internet, it was fixed.

Hope this helps, and thank you again for the people that took from their time to help me, I appreciate! :)
I use ProtonVPN and have noticed that if you do not disconnect before shutting down, I dol not have internet next time the computer is turned on. If you click the network icon in the panel then go to settings and look for a connection called "Dummy". If the dummy connection is there click on it and turn it off, your internet should be restored. I think I read somewhere this connection has something to do with IPV6 leak prevention. Try looking for this connection next time you have issues. Proton VPN will restore the Dummy connection next time you connect through the VPN.

Regards,
Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
kykex
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VPN messed up my DNS? I'm connected to my router, but there's no internet!

Post by kykex »

Ahhh thank you Bob, it's much clearer! I'll modify the title of this thread to make sure it can help others in our case!
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: VPN messed up my DNS? I'm connected to my router, but there's no internet!

Post by BwingBob »

kykex wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:25 am Ahhh thank you Bob, it's much clearer! I'll modify the title of this thread to make sure it can help others in our case!
The last update from Proton seems to have fixed this issue. I have not had to toggle the Dummy connection off since the update.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo

Return to “Networking”