NextCloud on PC or Server? SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxNoob
Level 1
Level 1

NextCloud on PC or Server? SOLVED

Post by LinuxNoob »

Hello, does anybody know if NextCloud (or OwnCloud) can run from your PC? I mean do you need a separate box dedicated as a server or can you use your PC that you use for everything else to host also?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: NextCloud on PC or Server?

Post by GELvdH »

I would not recomend running any cloud service from the same PC as you use for regular use. If you have someone access the cloud while you are using the cpu it would inhibit one or both of you unless you have a VERY fast and powerful cpu and storage. Dedicate a separate cpu system for the cloud and access it like you would any cloud service.
LinuxNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NextCloud on PC or Server?

Post by LinuxNoob »

Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured....
Ademeion
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NextCloud on PC or Server? SOLVED

Post by Ademeion »

I'm a little surprised by this. Aren't tasks like this one of the reasons why there are so many cores in modern CPUs? Or aren't the operating systems clever enough to always take advantage of those cores? I understand that there may be tasks that take full advantage of the full power of the CPU, but in such cases it would make sense have a setting like this available: "Always give the following percentage of CPU capacity to the software X when it requires it". I'm actually quite surprised if it's not possible.
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Re: NextCloud on PC or Server? SOLVED

Post by axrusar »

I been using my Nextcloud server running off a regular old PC at home and online 24/7.
The whole server with everything installed hovers at about 700-800MB of ram, and cpu gets loaded a bit if using Collabora docs.
If its just for yourself, you dont really need a super computer and can run it on a VM on your own PC.
If you are planning to use it with multiple users at the same time, i suggest going for the dedicated server.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics

Return to “Networking”